Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 26th, 2008 20:00

Replacing sound card. Jumper goes where?

I have a Dell Dimension 8100, P4.  Processer 1.3GHz.  512MB RDRAM.  32MB NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX 4X  60 GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive.  (7200 RPM)  It came with Windows ME.   I updated to Windows XP (Service Pack 2) then added a SBC 2-Wire wireless Modem. Next I updated to Windows Vista Home Premium.

A clerk and I figured we could update my Dell installed SB Live Digital Sound Card (Creative Model CT4780) with a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio card (Model SB0790).  The system requirements for the new card are: Windows XP (Service Pack 2 x 64 Edition or Media Center Edition).  The sound and video were bad and I assume it is incompatible with my PC, having to do with the numbers "32" and "64."

I tried removing the new and reinstalling my old sound card.  I have no sound now and no matter what  i do, it doesn't help.  I get messages :  "No drivers installed for this device."  "Driver for this device not installed."  "Windows needs to install driver software for your multimedia Audio Controller."  Windows tried to locate and install but can't:  "Windows encountered a problem installing software for your device - encountered this error Creative EMU10K1 Audio processor (WDM)."  Also on PC1 Input device properties, I get: "This device is not configurted correctly Code 1."  Re system speaker properties:  "No drives installed for this device."  My original sound card came installed on my PC when I purchased it.  I should have left it alone.

My most immediate problem:  My old sound card has two jumper cables, one black that plugs into my CD/DVD drive, the other has a green 4 pin receptacle on both ends.  One plugs into a green 4 pin plug on my old sound card, but I don't know where the other end goes.  I couldn't find another green plug anywhere and I forgot where it was plugged in.  The information on the jumper has two labels:  5740C BIZ and 06 FEB 01 BIZ.

The New Creative Sound Card accepts only one jumper that connects to my CD/DVD drive, so I just left the green jumper out.  The sound and video worked, but lacked synchronization and sometimes stopped.

It may be, since I installed the wireless SB2Wire modem, and reconnected my telephone line to the modem, I may not need the green jumper.  Any suggestions appreciated.     

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 26th, 2008 21:00

First, the 8100 is a poor candidate for Vista.  Vista requires a minimum of 2GB memory, for starters. 

However, a new sound card was needed but the Xfi is more than what you could have used.  The $30 SoundBlaster Audigy SE (even available a Wal-Mart) would have been more than adequate. 

The Xfi, though is Vista 32 bit compatible and the SoundBlaster software should have loaded and worked without problems.  You may want to try it again, if you still have the sound card.  When you install a sound card and first start the PC, Windows (Vista) will come up with a window about searching for drivers - DO NOT allow Windows to search for the drivers, cancel that function and then when Windows is finished starting then load the SoundBlaster CD and run the installation from the CD.  

Next, the audio cable between the CD drive and the sound card is not used in Windows XP and Vista.  "Digital Audio" is used via the IDE I/O path. 

Back to the old sound card.  If it is not Vista compatible then there is no use to reinstall it as you can't get it to work.  Reinstall the new Xfi card, if you still have it and if not go for the noted Audigy2 SE,  and work on getting it installed correctly. 

38 Posts

June 27th, 2008 22:00

Thank you fireberd.  I watched a movie last night!  Except for an occasional pause, the sound came through with the video.  It's tolerable.  Good luck.    4hal
No Events found!