Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2016 11:00

Reset CMOS - Keyboard unresponsive

Hi all,

First, I have an OEM Dell XPS 8500 (Mfg. Date: July 19, 2012). Specs here.

I have been having issues installing a new GPU, and after some digging around on the internet, I decided to attempt to reset my BIOS/CMOS.

First I tried to remove the CMOS battery, wait, and replace the CMOS battery. That didn't fix my original issue, so I attempted to move the jumper pins around. I made a huge mistake and don't remember what the default jumper-pin settings were. However, I tweaked it around and figured out a way to configure the pins so that the machine turns on (maybe this is the right way?).

My issue now, however, is that when the machine boots it gets past the Dell splash screen where it gives me options: "F2 Setup, F12 Boot Options". After it loads past that, my machine gets stuck on a screen:

"RTC is reset; BIOS Setup Defaults have been loaded. Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility."

At this screen, my machine is completely unresponsive. Striking either F1 or F2 yields no response. My keyboard's lights are on, however I cannot dim the lights (I normally could). Another thing to note is that on the splash screen, pressing F2 or F12 also yields no response.

I am extremely frustrated, extremely upset, and am very grateful for any assistance you all can give.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 7th, 2016 12:00

Sounds like you have that jumper in the wrong place...

See page 129-130 in the manual for correct settngs.

September 7th, 2016 13:00

Does it matter if I accidentally switched the two pins? Meaning I took the RTCRST pin and moved it to the PSWRD pin?

I will give this an attempt in ~ 5 hours and get back to you! Thank you for the quick reply.

When I move the jumper to the original settings is there anything I should do before booting? Or should I just follow that manual?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

You must move jumper back to 2-3

Thanks for the quick reply. I definitely think that is a strong possibility as I messed with the jumpers and didn't remember the original (correct) settings. I will attempt this fix and get back to you in ~ 5 hours.

Hopefully this works, and if it doesn't, hopefully you have more suggestions :)

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 7th, 2016 16:00

Just put it back on pins 2 and 3 where it belongs. Then close the case and see if it works...

September 7th, 2016 19:00

It did not work. Same issue :(

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 8th, 2016 10:00

You have jumped jumpers to places they never should have been.

You have zapped your motherboard with static electricity.

You have permanently damaged your motherboard.

September 8th, 2016 10:00

My motherboard is fried even though there is still an image on my screen?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 8th, 2016 11:00

You still getting the "RTC is reset" message?  You're sure the jumper is properly seated on the correct 2 pins? And is the battery installed correctly too?  

Have you tried pressing F2 immediately after booting to see if you can get into BIOS setup? Once in setup, set date and time to correct values. Maybe that will clear the RTC message.

If you -hopefully- copied all BIOS settings before your very first attempt to reset BIOS by removing the battery, make sure all current settings match what you copied. If you didn't copy the previous settings, don't start randomly changing things now. Be sure to save the change to date/time before exiting setup and see if it boots now.

Did you make any other jumper changes that you haven't undone? You mentioned something about a  PSWRD pin that I didn't understand...

September 8th, 2016 12:00

Ron,

First, thanks for taking the time to help me, I really appreciate it.

Yes I am still getting the same message. "RTC is reset..." I am positive that the jumper is properly seated on the correct 2 pins per the motherboard manual's specs. The battery is installed properly from what I can tell.

I have attempted to press F2 immediately after booting. I have even tried to toggle FN during that, all to no avail.

I don't believe I made any other changes.

The PSWD pin is another jumper that I thought I had to switch in order to reset the CMOS. It is on page 128 of this manual.

Thanks again for your continued support!

Chase

September 8th, 2016 16:00

I found a solution to the issue. It was a keyboard incompatibility with default BIOS settings. I did not cause permanent damage to my motherboard. Thank you for your help!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 10th, 2016 19:00

Glad you got it sorted!

Care to share the magic sauce so others (eg, me) can learn something from your experience?

2 Posts

September 6th, 2017 21:00

I know this is an old thread, but just to close the loop on this one, I encountered the exact same situation yesterday.  The issue is that my fancy gaming keyboard would not work to press F1 to continue.  I had to use a cheap old USB keyboard to accomplish this.  Perhaps the power draw of the gaming keyboard is too great.

No Events found!