chasethecat
1 Nickel

RE: Reset CMOS - Keyboard unresponsive

My motherboard is fried even though there is still an image on my screen?

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

You still getting the "RTC is reset" message?  You're sure the jumper is properly seated on the correct 2 pins? And is the battery installed correctly too?  

Have you tried pressing F2 immediately after booting to see if you can get into BIOS setup? Once in setup, set date and time to correct values. Maybe that will clear the RTC message.

If you -hopefully- copied all BIOS settings before your very first attempt to reset BIOS by removing the battery, make sure all current settings match what you copied. If you didn't copy the previous settings, don't start randomly changing things now. Be sure to save the change to date/time before exiting setup and see if it boots now.

Did you make any other jumper changes that you haven't undone? You mentioned something about a  PSWRD pin that I didn't understand...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
chasethecat
1 Nickel

Ron,

First, thanks for taking the time to help me, I really appreciate it.

Yes I am still getting the same message. "RTC is reset..." I am positive that the jumper is properly seated on the correct 2 pins per the motherboard manual's specs. The battery is installed properly from what I can tell.

I have attempted to press F2 immediately after booting. I have even tried to toggle FN during that, all to no avail.

I don't believe I made any other changes.

The PSWD pin is another jumper that I thought I had to switch in order to reset the CMOS. It is on page 128 of this manual.

Thanks again for your continued support!

Chase

0 Kudos
chasethecat
1 Nickel

I found a solution to the issue. It was a keyboard incompatibility with default BIOS settings. I did not cause permanent damage to my motherboard. Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Glad you got it sorted!

Care to share the magic sauce so others (eg, me) can learn something from your experience?

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
benmcntsh
1 Copper

I know this is an old thread, but just to close the loop on this one, I encountered the exact same situation yesterday.  The issue is that my fancy gaming keyboard would not work to press F1 to continue.  I had to use a cheap old USB keyboard to accomplish this.  Perhaps the power draw of the gaming keyboard is too great.