Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 27th, 2010 19:00

Reset bios (or video settings in bios) for Inspiron 530 Desktop

Short version:

the bios display has a checkerboard of blank areas in the display - how do I reset the bios (or video portion of the bios)?

Longer version:

I've had the box wroking fine for several years. After a HD crash, I was starting over again with new (blank) drives, was in the process of installing Win7 on blank drive) and something crapped out - machine off and wouldn't boot to the new drive. On starting the install over, I got this problem: the bios display has 3 characters, then blank (black) space, then the next three letters. Definitely the BIOS: this happens even if no drives are connected.

Suggestions? 

Old box, but I would like to get it running again. Here are the relevant specs:

1 CN481 ASSEMBLY..., CHASSIS..., MNTW, Pentium 4 Prescott DT, 3.0GHZ, 1 MEGB, 800FSB..., NON PFC..., PWA INTEGRATED...
1 DX929 Processor, E4500, 2.20, 2M, Core Duo-Conroe, M0
1 WX093 Card, Graphics, 128, 8300 MRMGA11B, NV

14.4K Posts

December 30th, 2010 12:00

Try a new video card. Looks like the card is failing

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 27th, 2010 22:00

Did you format the new hard drive before attempting to install Windows?

You can try this:

Power off and unplug

Press/hold power button on tower for ~15 sec

Open the case and remove the motherboard battery

Press/hold power button again for ~30 sec

Reinstall the battery (right-side-up!)

Now start the install over again by formatting the new drive. Have only mouse, monitor and keyboard attached during the installation. (Make sure the network/modem cable isn't connected.)

Ron

4 Posts

December 29th, 2010 09:00

Thanks Ron - will try tonight.

4 Posts

December 29th, 2010 19:00

No go. did that series, and also used the CMOS reset jumper (Clearing CMOS Settings   - http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/inspd530/en/OM/HTML/appendix.htm#wp1141353  )

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 30th, 2010 09:00

What color is the power button? Blue/Amber; Solid/Blinking?

Are you sure the motherboard battery is good?

Strip it down to bare minimum. Disconnect all drives, remove all PCI cards. If you an add-in PCI-e video card, also remove that and use the on-board graphics output. Reseat all RAM modules and all cables. Then do the "battery thing" again.

If none of that helps, could be a motherboard failure.  :emotion-9:

Ron

4 Posts

January 1st, 2011 18:00

it was indeed the video card - behavior followed the vid card when I switched to another box. Thanks everyone!

No Events found!