Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 4th, 2010 08:00

Restore Internal Secondary Drive

Hello all,

I just reinstalled Windows XP on my Dell Inspiron E1505 and I deleted my primary C:/ drive and internal secondary D:/  drive in the process.

The C:/ drive was formatted and I'm off and running with my clean system, however, I cannot locate my internal secondary D:/ drive.

Any suggesetions on how to locate and format that drive. It's 20GB that I really need.

Thanks!

112 Posts

March 4th, 2010 10:00

It would depend on the order in which you performed the deletions during the reinstall of Windows XP.

If you deleted C: and D: before recreating your C: partition, then chances are 100% of the available drive space has been assigned to the C: partition. It would a non-trivial process to split some space off of your C: partition in order to created a new D: partition.

If you deleted C:, recreated C:, and then deleted D:, then you most likely have a certain amount of unpartitioned drive space equal to the size of the old D: partition. This space could be used to created a new D: partition by visiting Disk Management. Right-clicking My Computer, selecting Manage, selecting Disk Management within the Storage item, and locate the unallocated space at the bottom right. I think you just have to right-click the unallocated space and look for menu item to Create Partition.

This assumes that they were on the same physical disk. Even if they were on separate disks though, follow the instructions into Disk Managment and see if you have the unallocated space in there (it would be on a different disk from the C: partition, but the same process applies).

35 Posts

March 4th, 2010 10:00

If you really want to preserve this structure in new disks, you need to clone the first two partitions using disk cloning software and then create an NTFS partition as the third partition on the new disk after this. After this, you can install Windows XP on the new disk. Just make sure you have chosen the NTFS partition to install it to.

2 Posts

March 4th, 2010 11:00

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I had to go back to my original order receipt from 4 years ago (time to get a new PC, but besides the point) to confirm the amount of memory on the entire PC.

During the boot from XP disk rinstall, I did delete D, then C, then installed XP on C, but now, all memory is in the C drive.

Appreciate the help.

Brett

No Events found!