Highlighted
RestoreMe
1 Copper

Restoring Dimension E310 to Factory Settings without CD

I have tried to restore my Dimension E310 to factory settings to wipe out the harddrive as I am donating the computer.   I do not have the recovery CD, etc.  It has WinXP O/S.

I've tried pressing Ctrl + F11, also F8.  I do not have the option for "repair computer" that I have seen others have...

What I have is:

Enable Boot Logging

Enable VGA Mode

Last Known Good Config

Directory Services Restore

Debuggin Mode

Disable Auto restart on system failure

Start Windows Normally

Reboot

Return to O/S choices Menu.

Please help !! 

Sincerely,

Restore Me

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rdunnill
5 Rhenium

RE: Restoring Dimension E310 to Factory Settings without CD

You might find a recovery disk on eBay, but then again, you probably don't want to be spending any more money.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

RestoreMe

Has the Dell factory installed hard drive been replaced?

If not and as you have XP, then you should have Dell's PC Restore by Symantec Utility on the hard drive, that restores the system to factory condition.

When the Dell splash screen appears during the computer startup process, press and hold <Ctrl> and then press <F11>.

Then, release both keys at the same time.

For more info, go here:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

RestoreMe

If Dell's PC Restore by Symantec Utility if not available, or is corrupt and as you don't have a Dell XP reinstallation disc, other than buying a replacement disc, the best you can do, is to wipe all the data from the hard drive using data destruction program and let the new owner's install their own operating system.

I've found Darik's Boot and Nuke, very effective for erasing all the data from a hard drive.

http://dban.sourceforge.net/faq/index.html

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

If the option isn't there then you have to perform a manual installation and for this you need an XP Reinstallation CD.

As XP is reaching its End of Life Dell may charge you for the reinstallation CD or be unable to provide you with a Reinstallation CD in some regions.

You can likely see if a friend has a Dell Windows XP Home Reinstallation CD and use that otherwise securely wipe the system using DBAN as mentioned and let the new owner worry about installation of Windows.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Rhenium

Any XP Home disc can be used, provided it has a valid product key. After installation, use the Microsoft product key utility to activate using the product key on the Dell COA.

0 Kudos