Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 5th, 2009 18:00

Retrieving Programs from an External Hard drive??

I purchased an external hard drive a while ago and used it to back-up the contents of my computer. Well a couple of day ago I accidently deleted two programs from my PC. I use these programs on a daily basis but now am unable to.

Since I backed the contents of my computer on an external hard drive. Shouldn't there be a method I can use to retrieve these two particular programs?

If there is a way I can retrieve these two programs? Please let me know how by writing the steps that it involves.   --Thanks

29 Posts

June 7th, 2009 08:00

Hi Rick,

First of all the post titled, "Retrieving Programs from an External Hard drive??" is in regards to a Dell Studio XPS 435MT with Vista Premium OS. I purchased the PC back in Jan. 2009. I do have the back-up disc that came with the computer. In the event I needed to reinstall any program that came with my Dell computer. On that note, I was unable to use these reinstallation disc for this particular program because this program is not offered in the reinstallation disc (This program was purchased separate from computer). I understand the information pertaining to the restore, and my question is...If I made a restore point on the date when this program functioned in my computer. Will this restore bring that particular program back even if it was a program that's not offered on the reinstallation disc. (Purchased program separate and on a different date than the PC).

In other words, I had already had this program before I purchased my XPS 435MT.  I installed it.upon receiving the 435mt. Later, I created a restore point. Now I accidently uninstalled the program, and on top of that can't find the reinstalltion disc for that program. So, since I don't have the disc that came with that program. Can get the program back from that restore point I created back before I uninstalled it?

I have never had to perform a restore before and don't know if it will bring back programs other than the programs that came with the computer?

Thanks

398 Posts

June 5th, 2009 18:00

What computer/operating system are you using? What software did  you use to make the backup to the external drive?

Finally, what programs did you delete? You may be able to reinstall them in other ways.

29 Posts

June 5th, 2009 19:00

First of all, thanks for answering. My OS is Windows Vista. As far as the software I used to back-up my PC's contents, it was Vista's "Backup and Restore Center," which can be found by clicking on "Control Panel" (in classic view mode). The particular programs I deleted were programs related to video editing, etc. etc..

As I am reading more on it through the net, form my understanding, if a person backs up a program that he or she was using from their master drive, (in my case C: Drive) to an external hard drive, he or she must buy a particular program that will enable the programs to be reinstalled back on the C: Drive.

I am not 100 percent sure though, will you give me some insight on this if I am wrong?

--Thanks,

Randy

398 Posts

June 6th, 2009 17:00

The Vista Backup and Restore in Home Premium only makes a backup of your data. Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate allow the backup of applications.

There are other backup solutions that make a complete snapshot of your computer, including OS, applications, and data such as Acronis True Image. They would give you a turnkey approach to recovering applications.

Are the applications completely gone from your system? Did you uninstall them? Or did you just delete the icon from the desktop?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 6th, 2009 18:00

Randy,

Go to start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore. Go to a restore point before you deleted the program, it should come back.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 7th, 2009 09:00

Randy,

First, your computer makes system restore point periodically, usually when Windows Updates occur. Hopefully this was just recently this happened and there is a restore point on your computer that still has the program installed and yes if there is a restore point with the program installed it will come back. Only system restore will bring the program back, if there is a restore point.

If you have the program on the external, you could possibably copy it to your desktop and install it from there. A purchased program, if registered can also be retreived from the manufacturer in most cases, maybe with a little fee but they usually work with you.

If I may ask, what is the name of the program?

Rick

29 Posts

June 7th, 2009 12:00

Okay Rick, I understand. Yes just before the program was uninstalled there was a system restore. So, this is how I will retrieve it. Just as you said paste it to the desktop, then install it.

In a since, I am lucky and not so lucky. The reason I say this is because like you stated, system restore can be set up to restore the system information on a routine basis. As so, my system (XPS 435MT) was set up for system restore monthly and has been doing so faithful for the last four months, (four different restores). However, for some reason last month I receieved notice that my system back-up which is pathed to my external hard drive failed. Do the system restore point and the system back up differ? I know when I first purchased my external HD, I had no issues backing up my system. However, before I purchased the external HD, the computer would automatically set restore points. I am kind of confused to why I had a notice pop up saying "Back up failed," and the "Restore points"? Why would I just start having a notice stating "Back up failed"? As far as I know I have done nothing to cause this message to appear.

Oh yea, the program was a cad program for drafting.

Thanks Rick for your advice.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 7th, 2009 13:00

Randy,

Disconnect the external and try a system restore point. It may still be there. If not, then you might have to contact the vendor and provide them with your information and then you might have to download it from their website.

Rick

Unless you kept the installation program on the hard drive with the product key.

29 Posts

June 7th, 2009 15:00

Okay, I will give that a try. You've been a big help with my questions.  :emotion-2:

No Events found!