Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 20th, 2010 17:00

RevoDrive in a Dell XPS system?

I'm interested to find out if anyone has had any success installing a OCZ RevoDrive in an XPS system + been able to boot from that drive?  Their specs say PCI-Express interface (x4) + needs a motherboard that supports boot over PCI-E.  I haven't been able to figure out if that means that recent XPS 8100 and 9100 motherboards would handle that.

Here is a link to the drive I'm talking about:

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/solid-state-drives/pci-express/revodrive/ocz-revodrive-pci-express-ssd-.html

7 Posts

April 6th, 2011 12:00

The OCZ RevoDrive X2 has been excellent.  I've tried a number of the SATA versions and didn't get nearly the same results.

Yes, it will boot from the SSD on the XPS 410.

12 Posts

April 6th, 2011 15:00

Awesome thank you very much. When I install should I disconnect my Sata drives and install WIN7 right on SSD? Sorry for all the questions but this is new too me and want to get it right.

7 Posts

April 6th, 2011 22:00

I have heard that if the SSD is not the only drive that Windows 7 puts some of the files in other places.  I have no personal experience with this.

I installed it on the RevoDrive without any other drives present.  It crashed a few times during install.

I've installed the RevoDrive (x2) in 5 or 6 computers and the easiest way I found was to install Windows 7 on a SATA drive (without the RevoDrive installed). 

After Install is complete, add the revodrive and add the revodrive drivers so it shows up (as a drive) in Windows when booting with the SATA drive. 

The PCI-E drives works best (on the XPS 410) if you disable the PCI-E power save settings.

Then clone (using Acronis or something like it).  I've installed both ways (direct and via SATA) and there is no blue screen of death that windows eventually resolves if you do it via the SATA drive.

Note: For many hard drives, the cloning tool is free from the manufacturer.

12 Posts

April 7th, 2011 05:00

Ok now for a rookie question about cloning. I install WIN 7 on a empty Sata drive with the Revodrive installed. Once the window 7 installation is complete and revo drivers loaded I clone that drive to the Revo with cloning software and then do I remove the Sata drive and Reboot?

7 Posts

April 7th, 2011 09:00

Just to clarify, my suggestion was that you install windows 7 on an empty SATA drive without the Revodrive installed (doesn't get installed until after windows is installed).

When you are finished cloning, you can just go into the bios and change the boot sequence to boot from the RevoDrive first.

At this point you can either leave the Sata drive in there or not.  I have two mirrored SATA drives that boot to Windows 7 and are regularly updated with the information on the RevoDrive.  That way if the revodrive ever failed, I would be able to resume working without too much interruption (but I operate on the near side of paraniod).

12 Posts

April 7th, 2011 14:00

I tried installing Win7 directly to Revo and after adding driver at install it said Windows cannot install on that drive and gave Error # 0x8030001,  Now I will try above

1 Message

September 5th, 2011 06:00

Just for the record, installed RevoDrive 3 into T5500, running great. Installed W7 64 direct to RD.

Amazing performance and rock stable so far.

dr

No Events found!