Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 18th, 2017 17:00

Running out of space on 32 GB SSD Inspiron 3050

So I bought a refurbished Dell Inspiron 3050 which has Windows 10 Home installed. Was very surprised even with no apps, or programs after Windows updates I am left with about 9 Gb left before I install any programs. My concern is down the road updates will consume space and big updates will be a challenge. Does this drive have a hidden partition which I am not seeing that I could delete? Or possible could I install Ubuntu which has a smaller OS foot print instead of Windows 10? I'm debating if I should just return it, because it does appear finding a proper SSD can be a challenge and more expense than this PC is worth. Really surprised the OS ate up so much space? 

30 Posts

February 11th, 2017 21:00

I also bought i3050 mini pc. Upgraded ram to 8gb. Also bought Micron M600 2260 M.2 128 gb amd 256 gb. I'm not new to install os, but I can't make it work. I downloaded Dell's windows recovery image and created a bootable USB using Dell OS recovery tool. It goes throw recovery process, but gets stuck on 1st boot at Dell's logo. Also tried to install windows 10 by downloading it from Microsoft website and using their tool to create USB  media and still get stuck on Dell's logo.

I did figure out that one of the partitions was not big enough so had to adjust it, but it still didn't help.

If any dell's employee here in the forum could escalate it, it would be really appreciated. I'm willing to put my time into it to make it work.

247 Posts

February 12th, 2017 03:00

You will have to access bios settings and set them to boot to a USB drive. By default they will not, and you may have to disable Secure Boot to allow this option to show up. I had better luck with the Microsoft creation tool than the Dell Image. Ubuntu has a bit smaller install size than Win 10 and yes it will work fine. No the original drive did not have a hidden restore partition. I bought a 64 Gb drive that worked perfectly from Amazon for $36  A Transcend TS64GMTS400  42mm M.2 drive. Yes, your right the original drive is just too small for Windows 10.

30 Posts

February 12th, 2017 17:00

The usb drive boots up fine and go throw process. Process does finish, but 1st boot gets stuck. It seems to be only on GPT EUFI

247 Posts

February 13th, 2017 03:00

After Windows 10 installs do you remove the USB drive. If you don't the process of installing Windows 10 begins all over again because the USB is the first drive in boot sequence. May have to reset bios defaults and make sure secure boot is enabled. Could be a bad install maybe drive isn't fully erased. If you tried installing something like Ubuntu you may have corrupted partitions or boot sequence from that. I typically delete all previous partitions through windows install and manually format to clear drive. I've used Windows creation tool many times without issues. Also just a note make sure your using 64 bit not 32 bit OS and same Windows 10 version originally activated.

No Events found!