Highlighted

S2716DG, EVGA 680 GTX, Unable to select 144Hz, only 120Hz?

Jump to solution

I just received my new S2716DG and was excited to get things running.

I connected it with the included display port cable and updated my nvidia drivers to the most recent version.

When I go into both Windows & Nvidia control panel, I'm able to only select 120 HZ as my max refresh rate. I've gone through all lower resolutions (I'm at the highest) and no opportunity is given to select 144hz.

For context I'm using an EVGA 680 GTX.

Is this a known issue? Is it a driver issue? Is there a solution?

Someone suggested create a custom resolution and setting the refresh rate to 144hz - would this be a temp. fix?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
2 Bronze

RE: S2716DG, EVGA 680 GTX, Unable to select 144Hz, only 120Hz?

Jump to solution

nVidia support ticket answer for this some time ago... hope that helps

"I've discussed this issue with development and after some research on the specification this is expected due to HW limitation. The 2560x1440@144Hz resolution would require a pixel clock of 586Mhz. The GeForce GTX 770 max pixel clock is 540Mhz. You'll need a GTX 980 class GPU, which has a higher pixel clock, in order to support the 2560x1440@144hz resolution. Let me know if you have any further questions."

View solution in original post

38 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

RE: S2716DG Unable to select 144hz

Jump to solution

Based on the S2716DG User's Guide pages 6, 11, 12, we know that the S2716DG DisplayPort in is capable of 144Hz. So the culprit is either the Nvidia driver or the video card itself. The only test you could try is using another computer or another video card in that system to see if the results differ.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hey Chris -

Is there a list of video cards that were tested by Dell to support the 144hz feature?

There wasn't any mention of this on the product page, and given that my card is still relatively strong, it would be unfortunate if the only way to achieve 144 hz is to upgrade my still sufficient card.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

I have not seen such a list. The EVGA 680 GTX came out 3 years ago. What specific EVGA 680 GTX model is it? They have 4 or 5 different ones. Look for a model number on the box.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Appreciate you looking into this.

Here's my card info and the exact product page (from Newegg)

EVGA SuperClocked+ 02G-P4-2684-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

I am not seeing an Nvidia or EVGA document that details what Hz settings the GTX 680 can do. I found this, but not any Hz data. I think we need to move this conversation to the Desktop Video board to get more eyes on it. As a test, lower the windows desktop resolution one notch. Then check the Hz maximum.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hey Chris,

Not sure if this is what you're looking for: www.evga.com/.../GPU.aspx

States 240 HZ max refresh rate.

Should I manually create a new thread or are you able to move it over there with admin controls?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hey Chris,

Perhaps this is what you're after:

www.evga.com/.../GPU.aspx

States 240 refresh rate max.

Can you move the thread yourself or should I manually create a new topic?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Moving it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

RE: S2716DG, EVGA 680 GTX, Unable to select 144Hz, only 120Hz?

Jump to solution

I am surprised that none of our Desktop users have chimed in. I am not convinced that the monitor is at fault. But you may initiate a monitor exchange. Test the replacement before sending any monitor back to Dell. If the replacement does not have the issue, keep it and send us the original. If the replacement has the SAME issue, the monitors were not at fault. Send the replacement back to Dell. Look to the video card as the culprit.

0 Kudos