Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 16th, 2017 07:00

SATA Type Inspiron 580s

Forgive me guys, I still struggle with the Documentation on some of these pages.  I am looking to find out the SATA Type of this Inspiron 580s.  This is what I see, and the only thing I see so far.  I should point out that there is no OS on it at the moment.  

My question I guess is, Does the Number 11 (SATA1) in this list Actually mean SATA-I 6Gbps?

11 SATA connector (SATA1)

12 SATA connector (SATA2)

13 front-panel connector (FP1)

14 SATA connector (SATA3)

Page 42 of the Manual

It took going through WAY too many CAPATCHA's to get this post done?

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-580s_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Thanks, Max

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 22nd, 2017 04:00

Blinking Amber Power Button is Bad Power Supply.  Solid Amber Power button is Bad Motherboard/CPU.

PSU may be bad or PSU cable may be crimped creating a short on a main power rail. (PS_ON asserted, PS_PWRGOOD not asserted)

PSU Failure

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 16th, 2017 08:00

The system chipset supports SATA 6G, yes - but the numbers are sequential and don't refer to the SATA generation - they refer to the location on the mainboard in the manual.

161 Posts

December 16th, 2017 09:00

Thanks, I saw SATA-300 Somewhere, but now can't find it.  What's the best way to determine SATA Type?  I tried this on a few pc's but the documentation is always different.  I don't see how to do it with the provided documentation.  I can't even see where it says the Chipset is 6GB? on the Intel Site, perhaps I should be looking somewhere else.

Yes, Location on the Mainboard, that's what I was thinking those numbers meant.

Thanks, Max

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 16th, 2017 13:00

The Intel H57 Express chipset was one of the first to fully support 6G/s SATA.

www.asus.com/.../

161 Posts

December 16th, 2017 20:00

"Comprehensive Specifications" PDF isn't very good is it LOL.  I wish I could find these things on my own?

161 Posts

December 17th, 2017 14:00

Yes RoHe, I do understand that, the thing that I need to learn is how to find this info quicker.  Meaning, what a particular pc is capable of.  Sometimes I get pc's with no Drive in them and want to find what SATA Type will be best.  If SATA-II, one can get those drives cheap, so no need to buy SATA-III, per GB is more you say, well if the difference is 40-50.00 US then will go with the cheaper drive even if it is just 320GB.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 17th, 2017 14:00

Does it matter?

If you're looking to install a new HDD, SATA3 (6GB/sec) drives are usually backward compatible with SATA2 (3GB/sec) so virtually any new SATA3 drive will work with a SATA2 motherboard.

Not to mention that it's hard even to find a SATA2 or SATA1 (1.5GB/sec) drive anymore, and they're probably more expensive per GB than a SATA3 drive.

The only thing you may need to consider is if there's a limit on the size of the HDD that BIOS and/or the chipset may support in this system...

161 Posts

December 21st, 2017 19:00

Okay guys, SATA-III, that's awesome, but now I still can't get to the root of the pc not wanting to get to what I think is called POST?  You know, the Dell Startup Screen, and to get to the boot Option etc.  That screen will only come up about every Three to Five tries.  I did the Dell Diagnostics and Re-seated all connections going to the Motherboard and now the problem still exists.  I guess I will take this one to the Recycle Center as it is fighting me pretty good.  Any suggestions?

I did see this one or two times, so I'm guessing that the motherboard is failing in some way?

"If the power indicator lights up and it is amber or orange, this is usually an indicator that it has failed POST."

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln153751/no-post--no-power--no-video-on-a-dell-desktop-computer?lang=en#No_Post

Thanks, 1190

161 Posts

December 22nd, 2017 05:00

Thanks for the answer and the entertaining little power button!  This one is going to the recycle bin.

No Events found!