Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 15th, 2015 07:00

SATA connections

Hello- I‘d like to upgrade my Dell XPS 8300 with a SSD drive. To use it at 6 GB/sec speed I must connect the SSD to SATA port 0 or 1 (the blue and white ones, both SATA III type, the MO is a Dell 0Y2MRG)- I opened the chassis and I’ve seen that port 0 is connected to the DVD drive- Can I use the port 0 to connect the SSD drive (moving the DVD connection to a black SATA II port)? Or maybe I should leave the DVD connected to port 0 and use a SATA II port for the HD drive (connecting the SSD to the white port 1)? Thanks in advance

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 15th, 2015 09:00

That will work.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 15th, 2015 12:00

The Vostro 460/ Dimension XPS 8300 may be one of the models with sandy bridge problem. The Blue port is Port 0.  DVD should be port 1 white connector.

4 Posts

November 15th, 2015 13:00

Hello- Thanks for answer- I've done a quick research about the sandy bridge problem (I had never heard anything  about it) and it seems that my motherboard is clear about it. Now (factory setting) DVD is on port 0 (blue one) and the hard disk on the white port 1 (both SATA III). Can I use port 0 for a new SSD drive and move DVD to a port 3 (which is SATA II)? Thanks again

No Events found!