Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 26th, 2016 08:00

SOLVED: Vostro 230 - display randomly goes to sleep

Hello,

I have a friend with a Vostro 230 desktop. The display will randomly go to sleep. She has tried several monitors with the same result. The PC is running Windows 10 (I know that Dell has not tested the 230 for compatibility). Is this a driver issue, or is the video circuitry on the mobo starting to go? Is there a recommended in-stock video card I can have her purchase?

Thanks.

331 Posts

June 26th, 2016 14:00

Hi sydbarrett74,

Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum.

Press the windows + I key, it would open settings. Select Power & Sleep, change the settings accordingly.

Kindly get back if there are any further queries.

June 26th, 2016 20:00

She has already modified her power plan so that the display never goes to sleep: it makes no difference. Also, the display will shut off when she's in the middle of typing or otherwise actively using the PC. And again, switching monitors yields the same result. This is what leads me to believe it's a hardware problem.

331 Posts

June 29th, 2016 16:00

Hi sydbarrett74,

Please run the diagnostics on the system ( Restart the system and start tapping the F12 key. Then select Diagnostics and press the enter key, go through the on-screen prompts).  Let us know the status, if there is any errors. Also test the system in safe mode, monitor the in BIOS and check if the system powers off. Check the monitor on another system and let us know if the screen goes blank.

July 1st, 2016 19:00

Would you believe that the entire problem was caused by a faulty power strip? Apparently it wasn't passing enough current to power both the display and the PC. Once she replaced it, the problem disappeared. I guess that's something one should check before ruling anything else out!

*facepalm*

331 Posts

July 2nd, 2016 14:00

Thanks for your reply and updating the status on the fix. Great to hear everything is working fine on the system now.

No Events found!