Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 22nd, 2012 08:00

SSD for Inspiron 660

Does anyone know if I can add one, and what models would work. First I was told that you cannot from a chat with Dell, then a salesperson told me I could. Info online tells me I could with Crucial recommending models. What parameters should I look for as to size and such? 

I also don't see many specs about the machine listed. Does anyone know what the power supply is, the tower case size and how expansion slots? Getting info by calling is cumbersome and conflicting.

565 Posts

November 22nd, 2012 09:00

Hi frank121212,

There are two types of Inspiron 660: 

1. Mini Tower.
  2. Slim Tower.

Mini Tower has a power supply of 300W and Slim Tower has 220W.

These computers can work with SSD drives. Click here which gives you maximum size of SSD that would work with the computer.

In Inspiron 660, there are 3 PCIe x1 connectors and one PCIe x16 connectors. Also please click here for the manual for Inspiron 660.

In Inspiron 660, there are one PCIe x1 connectors, one PCIe x16 connectors and PCIe Mini-Card. Also please click here for the manual for Inspiron 660s.

For any clarifications feel free to contact me.

November 22nd, 2012 10:00

OK, I see on the manual that there is 4 SATA ports, this leaves two free!, whatever the other posts said, I am convinced.

I meant to add a question mark:  I will be able to do this, and I will not have to lose anything else, such as DVD?

OK, I ordered it a few days ago, and I think I got the mini tower because my model says 660 and not 660s. It comes with video card  MOD,CRD,GRPHC,NV,OHGA3,W8.

I believe you, but I saw this post from a few months ago, which a Dell staff members says SSD isn't supported.

en.community.dell.com/.../19462074.aspx

"Unfortunately this system does not support an SSD" Why the difference, did it change?

I would like to add an SSD to as my primary boot and use the hardrive that comes with it as secondary y(proably goe256Gb). I will be able to do this, and I will not have to lose anything else, such as DVD.

Last question, can I buy it from Dell and have it installed before they ship it( I know it would take longer)

Thank you.

565 Posts

November 22nd, 2012 11:00

Hi frank121212,

This computer was not shipped with SSD at the time of sale, SSD's works perfectly fine with this system, as per the legacy documentation, configuration and requirements it was said that this option is not compatible, however now practically it is possible.

For any clarifications feel free to contact me.

1 Message

January 12th, 2013 13:00

Hi Madhur:

I just purchased a Dell Inspiron 660 (with Windows 8 pre-installed) and a Corsair 256 GB SATA III SSD. I wish to do the same thing as frank121212 - use my SSD as the primary boot device and use the 2 TB magnetic drive as secondary storage.

I would really appreciate if you could list the step by step instructions on how I can do that. I do not have the windows installation disks, but I did purchase the Dell Recovery and Backup tool (digital delivery) with my PC.

Thanks

Pawan

No Events found!