Highlighted
deartag
1 Copper

STARTING MY COMPUTER, A YELLOW LIGHT STARTED FLASHING INSTEAD OF THE GREEN LIGHT COMING ON

My house was struck with a power failure while my computer was turned on.   When I turned the  computer back on, a yellow light started flashing instead of the green light that usually accompanies with the startup of the computer and my computer will not start up.  Could someone please tell me what I should do to get  my  computer to start?  Thank you, Allan

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
23 Replies
trishschenker
1 Copper

Re: STARTING MY COMPUTER, A YELLOW LIGHT STARTED FLASHING INSTEAD OF THE GREEN LIGHT COMING ON

Could be that your power supply has been damaged.  Dell's support website has a whole trouble-shooting write up on this problem.  It would take you about 15 minutes to work through to the end of it.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Re: STARTING MY COMPUTER, A YELLOW LIGHT STARTED FLASHING INSTEAD OF THE GREEN LIGHT COMING ON

My house was struck with a power failure while my computer was turned on.   When I turned the  computer back on, a yellow light started flashing instead of the green light that usually accompanies with the startup of the computer and my computer will not start up.  Could someone please tell me what I should do to get  my  computer to start?  Thank you, Allan

deartag 

When asking a technical question, it helps to include the computer model and version of windows in the post. 

If you have a desktop, try pushing the power button in and holding it there, for 20/25 seconds, then restart the system.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
deartag
1 Copper

Thank you for your reply Trish, I replaced my PSU and all was fixed.  deartag

0 Kudos
deartag
1 Copper

Bev,  thank you for replying to my need of help.  I replaced the PSU FOR $50 and everything works now.  I was told to replace my old surge protecter because they deteriate over time like mine did.  Thanks again, deartag

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

deartag

Pleased to hear that the problem is resolved.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
JASRON5
1 Nickel

My dell desktop tries to start. The yellow and green lights flashes once and sometimes the cd drives flash once and the computer sounds like it wants to start but goes dark and will not start up. could this be the power supply too?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

JASRON5

What is the computer model and the version of windows being used?

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
JASRON5
1 Nickel

Dell Dimension 3000 with XP

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

JASRON5

Is the power button LED, solid green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber, or off?

Check the sequence of the four Diagnosic Lights on the back panel of the case.

The Dimension 3000 Troubleshooter and Diagnostic Guide is HERE

Are there any error messages, or 'Beeps'?

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos