Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

SD

March 12th, 2005 21:00

Safe to add PCI card next to Nvidea 6800?

Hey all,

Just purchased a new Dell 8400 with the Nvidea 6800 (non pro version).  Wanted to install a firewire PCI card next to the video card (it's the only available slot and I didn't get the soundcard with firewire included.......dumb move), but I'm concerned about it being so close to the fan on the card.  Should I be concerned with filling the extra PCI slot?

I'm not a huge gamer, but I do run a fairly graphics intensive flight sim so the card fan will be kicked on pretty frequently I'm sure.

Thanks!

148 Posts

March 13th, 2005 14:00

Great question, the only way you will know for sure is by trying it out. Check your GPU temps with the fire wire card installed and than not intstalled. Preatty sure you will see a significant temp rise. My guess at least 5-10 degrees. You will not know for sure till you try though.

On another note, if you have a modem card, you could remove that and switch to cable internet.

Cheers

Message Edited by Hickory Stick on 03-13-2005 10:55 AM

91 Posts

March 13th, 2005 16:00

if u got enough cash, u maybe could replace the souncard. but other than that, if the geforces fan is actually touching the card or getting real close (like less than 1/2 a cm here) than no, it restricts the airflow. if you do not game that much like you said, or dont game with full settings, you could underclock the card for lower temps but if its really realy close,even thats a no-no.

maybe you could try cutting holes in the non-used slot?(if its a duel slot card, which i thobk it is)

March 13th, 2005 16:00

Thanks for the responses guys.  Good point on the modem card.  I'm already using a cable connection so theoretically I could just remove that card and replace it with the firewire card.  That would give me back the spacing I had originally.  That is of course if I can just swap card positions like that.  For some reason, I thought I might run into conflicts if I try using my firewire card in a spot already allocated for modem.  Maybe I'm way off base here.

The other option that I was not aware of at the time of my first post is that Dell sells an optional fan for the 8400 case which sits over the PCI-E card slot.  There is already a spot on the motherboard for power and the instruction manual that comes with the 8400 walks you through the install.  Maybe for my peace of mind I should order both the fan and remove the modem card?

148 Posts

March 13th, 2005 18:00

Sounds Great, won't know till you try. Good Luck.

Cheers

91 Posts

March 16th, 2005 20:00

hickory, this is way off topic but did you get your "cheers" ending from me, i sometiness end with "dibbs",  just wanna know. i mean no offence.

dibbs

148 Posts

March 17th, 2005 00:00

Just something I say often.  Anyway, the story behind Hickory Stick is way more funny.

sreehC

• 

25.1K Posts

August 21st, 2021 00:00

Hi there, We want to make sure your system is working fine and hence following up. Having said that, we do not want to disturb you with numerous messages. We will wait to hear from you to continue the conversation.
No Events found!