Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 14th, 2015 12:00

Sata power cable Inspiron 3650

I want to add a new hard drive to my new Inspiron 3650 . I have the sata cable but it looks like I need to buy a power cable. What do I need to buy and where do I get it from ? Thanks

1 Message

April 19th, 2016 11:00

I had the same issue trying to get the secondary sata power cable for the 2.5 sata drives. In first order, they sent me the primary sata power cable which only has one sata power connection and one dvd drive connection. P/N=KC81G. The sales rep insisted this was the right cable.

I called back and discuss this with another sales rep who was able to help me. She said yes there are 2 different part numbers and the correct one is P/N=GP2JM. Once I received it I installed it and it worked perfect.

The part cost $4.99 with free shipping.

Oh, they have no pictures to show what they look like.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 30th, 2016 21:00

I am wondering whether that 1 power connection on the motherboard is strong enough for 2 hard drives and 1 optical drive. Does it give enough power and won't it burn through because of the unusual higher voltage?

MMaster

The power supply to two hard drives and one optical drive has nothing to do with the motherboard.

The computer power supply is a discrete unit, with a wiring harness that sends power using various connectors to both the motherboard and all the devices that require a power supply.

Yes, it is more than adequate to supply the power needs of two HD's and the optical drives.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 14th, 2015 16:00

Other way around. The power supply should have a spare SATA power cable available, but you'd need to buy a SATA data cable to connect the new HDD to the motherboard. Any PC shop should have them for a few dollars. You may want one with a right-angle connector to make it easier to connect to the hard drive, especially if space is limited.

NOTE: According to the specs, the 3650 supports two 2.5-inch hard disk drives or one 3.5-inch hard drive. So you may or not be able to install a second hard drive, depending on the size of the existing drive, unless you're prepared to replace the existing drive if it's 3.5-inch.

9 Posts

December 15th, 2015 11:00

Hi : Sorry, but there is no SPARE sata power cable. The cable leaves the mother board and goes directly to the hard drive with one power outlet ( ist time ive seen this on a dell). There is another sata power socket on the motherboard, just need to find the correct power lead. I have a SATA data cable. The power cable onto the installed drive has the part number DP/OKC81G. Any further help you could offer?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 15th, 2015 16:00

I guess you have to contact Dell Spare Parts to order the cable. It must have a SATA power connector on the end going to the HDD but I don't know what kind of connector is on the end that goes to the motherboard.

Dell Spare Parts
1-800-357-3355
Mon–Fri 7 a.m.–9 p.m. Central Time
Sat & Sun 8 a.m.–6 p.m. Central Time
Have Service Tag handy

If you're not in the USA, you'll have to contact Dell Tech Support for your country or region.

5 Posts

January 21st, 2016 19:00

Hello

I got the same problem as I bought the 3650 in HK, I telephone the support/sales dept wanting to buy that cable with part no 0KC81G, but they reply that they won't supply for just one cable! I had tried to find that cable over the computer shops in HK but no one had such a newly designed product. So what can I do?

9 Posts

January 22nd, 2016 02:00

What i did was buy a sata power splitter and it worked a treat. Hope that helps

5 Posts

January 24th, 2016 17:00

Thanks Sheraqui I will try

2 Posts

March 22nd, 2016 08:00

Just buy a 6pin PCI-E to female sata power connector.  Or you can use a 6-pin modular power supply connector to sata power.   One is cheaper and one looks nicer.

1 Message

April 15th, 2016 13:00

Would you be able to tell us or send us a picture of which splitter you used to solve your problem that will really be awesome. Trying to do the same but install an SSD as a boot drive.

5 Posts

April 17th, 2016 21:00

see attached

1 Attachment

5 Posts

April 19th, 2016 18:00

You are so lucky that can get support from Dell, I can't got any from Dell HK, they just reply won't send me for just one cable

9 Posts

April 19th, 2016 23:00

Dell support were useless: i bought my splitter cable from ebay

2 Posts

May 9th, 2016 14:00

I wrote what I did here.  I got the bracket for a 2.5 drive and they ended up sending me the same cable they use for the primary, for my secondary.  Good Luck.  If you use a splitter, make sure it has got at least on long leg to the hard drive sata power connector cable. I think the splitter  shown previously in this thread would be short, or at least a pain   

https://garyjohnson53.wordpress.com/2016/05/06/dell-3650-add-a-drive/

1 Message

August 29th, 2016 11:00

I am wondering whether that 1 power connection on the motherboard is strong enough for 2 hard drives and 1 optical drive. Does it give enough power and won't it burn through because of the unusual higher voltage?

No Events found!