Highlighted
riversr
1 Copper

RE: Sata power cable Inspiron 3650

Jump to solution

I had the same issue trying to get the secondary sata power cable for the 2.5 sata drives. In first order, they sent me the primary sata power cable which only has one sata power connection and one dvd drive connection. P/N=KC81G. The sales rep insisted this was the right cable.

I called back and discuss this with another sales rep who was able to help me. She said yes there are 2 different part numbers and the correct one is P/N=GP2JM. Once I received it I installed it and it worked perfect.

The part cost $4.99 with free shipping.

Oh, they have no pictures to show what they look like.

simonwhf
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

You are so lucky that can get support from Dell, I can't got any from Dell HK, they just reply won't send me for just one cable

0 Kudos
Sheraqui
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Dell support were useless: i bought my splitter cable from ebay

0 Kudos
gmgjbert
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I wrote what I did here.  I got the bracket for a 2.5 drive and they ended up sending me the same cable they use for the primary, for my secondary.  Good Luck.  If you use a splitter, make sure it has got at least on long leg to the hard drive sata power connector cable. I think the splitter  shown previously in this thread would be short, or at least a pain   

https://garyjohnson53.wordpress.com/2016/05/06/dell-3650-add-a-drive/

0 Kudos
MMaster
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I am wondering whether that 1 power connection on the motherboard is strong enough for 2 hard drives and 1 optical drive. Does it give enough power and won't it burn through because of the unusual higher voltage?

simonwhf
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I don't find any problem so far, you won't normally use all three device at the same time

0 Kudos
8 Platinum

Jump to solution

I am wondering whether that 1 power connection on the motherboard is strong enough for 2 hard drives and 1 optical drive. Does it give enough power and won't it burn through because of the unusual higher voltage?

MMaster

The power supply to two hard drives and one optical drive has nothing to do with the motherboard.

The computer power supply is a discrete unit, with a wiring harness that sends power using various connectors to both the motherboard and all the devices that require a power supply.

Yes, it is more than adequate to supply the power needs of two HD's and the optical drives.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

typericey
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I am not in the US but I requested my sister who lives there to order the cable part # GP2JM and send it to me. I used Sales Chat and verified that it is available for $4.99. Will post here again to report if it works out (fingers crossed).

I am also concerned with overloading 1 power socket with 3 drives. Best to have a dedicated power cable for the SSD that I am planning to add.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

X9FV3  2.5  CADDY

949TY and GP2JM cables

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Tags (1)
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

X9FV3  2.5  CADDY

949TY and GP2JM cables

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Power-Splitter-Adapter-PYO4SATA/dp/B0086OGN9E/

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro