Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 7th, 2014 06:00

Screen size

Hi. Just got my new Inspiron 23 Model 5348 yesterday, been setting everything up and all is working well except the screen resolution makes the font really small and websites are just centered on my 23" monitor with so much white space to the sides that it's annoying. I know I can lower the resolution to make things a bit bigger on the screen but then the text quality suffers. Are there any other options I can use like have it scale to the full screen size but keep the crispness of the text? Any downloads that will get it how I want it to look?

Thanks,

Jay

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 8th, 2014 15:00

Hi Jay,

You can increase the system font size. The setting is under display (search for display).

For browsers, the quick solution is to hold the Ctrl key and use the mouse wheel to increase or decrease the font size. This also works in many applications, such as Word, Adobe, etc.

13 Posts

June 9th, 2014 17:00

Was pleasantly surprised that all my sites that I had changed yesterday with CTRL+ retained the size I set. So looks like this work out well while being able to keep its native resolution.

Thanks to all for the help!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 8th, 2014 19:00

You didn't say what OS you have, but after you make the changes Osprey posted, you can also use the ClearType option to sharpen/enhance the text to your liking.

Search for ClearType.

13 Posts

June 8th, 2014 20:00

Sorry, it's windows 8.1, Changed the screen resolution to 1280x1024 and it helped some. I also did a search on clear type and made some adjustments there. Lastly I installed the theme font and size changer add-on for Firefox and that has helped as well.

If they are any other suggestions, I'm open to it. The recommended  resolution just makes everything too small and doesn't make good use of a 23" screen in my opinion.

Thanks

13 Posts

June 8th, 2014 20:00

With the suggestions from the both of you I changed the resolution back to it's recommended 1920x1080 and the text is nice and crisp even when I use the Ctrl + scroll wheel to increase screen size so that may work well. As I visit sites I can just change it that way. As well as application like Excel, etc.

Question though, once I change a site by using that the Ctrl key will it stay the size I set it at next time I log on? I'm sure I'll find out either way when I log back on tomorrow.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 9th, 2014 11:00

a site by using that the Ctrl key will it stay the size I set it at next time I log on?

Probably not.

And always best to use the monitor's native resolution.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 10th, 2014 08:00

Glad that worked!!

No Events found!