Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 23rd, 2009 02:00

Searching for help restoring my daughters computer to "normal" functioning.

This system: Dell Dimension E310 Desktop

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3

Dell Dimension DV051 504MB of RAM Physical Address Extension

First thought: Why does a computer bought in 2006, have a 4 year old OS?

Problem:

Did a system restore about 6 months ago and after the restore, half the programs vanished. I was unable to "undo" the restore because the restore program was seemingly gone; along with some maintence and other various programs. No Microsoft word (even though the program is listed as still there), no itunes, cannot install itunes after uninstall to get that back and working. Start-ups can be really long. Certain desktop icons that were placed are gone after shutdown and restart.  It seems there are .dll problems but I am unable to open the corefoundation.dll I need for my apple sync stuff. Explorer works well but none of the media player updates seem to work (cannot access flash players and such). Firefox will allow the flash stuff to work but crashes constantly and seemingly "disappears" after shut down. Even before restore, could not burn cd's or dvd's...

Currently:

I have tried certain programs to get this computer as close to "normality" as I can without having to pay for the myriad "help" services offered online and have loaded all proper microsoft updates and player updates.

I have tried over 20 different approaches to getting itunes back with no positive reults. I am repeatedly told that itunes "could not access network location itunes/." and "the installer encountered errors before itunes could be configured. Your system has not been modified. To retry at a later time..."

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 23rd, 2009 03:00

First thought: Why does a computer bought in 2006, have a 4 year old OS?

It has the OS that came with the PC and unless you upgrade to some other OS (e.g. Vista or Windows 7) you will have the original OS. 

With all the software problems you appear to have (it is not hardware - this forum section) it looks like the Operating System is corrupted and ultimately it's going to take a new install to get everything corrected.  Many Dell's came with a recovery partition on the hard drive that will restore the PC back to the original factory condition - CTRL/F11 at bootup.  If yours has the recovery partion, that is the easiest way to restore - just backup your user data to some other storage media before you do the reinstall so you can restore it after the reinstallation. 

If you have to do a manual install from discs, the correct and required install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Desktop System Software (on applicable models) (3) Install motherboard chipset drivers (4) Install device drivers including the Dell sound, video, ethernet, etc.

Sorry I can't offer you anything else, but with the problems you stated it looks like a reinstall is needed.

4.6K Posts

December 23rd, 2009 04:00

p.s. At the bottom of your reply is some specs on what looks like a very kick-*** system for music and video production.

Did you put those there or is that some sort of random add-on for replying.

It's called a 'signature' Theo.  Many forum members have them.  You'll see - for instance, that mine lists the specs of my XPS M1730 laptop.

You can add your own signature via your 'User Panel' - which you'll find at the top right of forums pages.

Click on 'Expand User Panel', and look in the left menu.  You'll see options for 'Public Profile' and 'Edit Profile.  It's in those you can add a 'signature' :emotion-5:

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 23rd, 2009 05:00

Theo, thanks.  The system I list with the Q6600 Quad CPU is a home built system.  It does work well for recording with Sonar and the hardware I have.

5 Posts

December 23rd, 2009 10:00

Excellent! I am certainly learning as I go... May I correspond with you on any future pc inquiries?

Happy Holidays fireberd!

Peace,

Theo

<ADMIN NOTE:Email Id removed per privacy policy>

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 23rd, 2009 12:00

I'd rather you just post on the forum.  If it happens to be a question I can't answer someone else will be able to see it and respond.

Merry Christmas.

5 Posts

December 23rd, 2009 18:00

Sure thing. Peace

5 Posts

Thank you fireberd. My apologies on the post in hardware for my clearly software related issues. Rookie mistake. Sure thing, I will do what you have suggested. I have an external mass storage device to move all files to. Then I will do the ctrl/f11 at boot up. I appreciate your input and direction. Thanks for taking the time. Regards, theo p.s. At the bottom of your reply is some specs on what looks like a very ROCKIN' system for music and video production. Did you put those there or is that some sort of random add-on for replying. Curious ($ and such) cause that looks like something I would do well with...

Obviously, I know the answer now but did the re-post because of my harmless descriptive verb was deleted by the "team" and still wanted this post here.

Thanks for everything. See you around the forum.

Regards,

Theo

5 Posts

Right on! Learning as I go...

Happy Holidays,

Theo

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 14th, 2011 21:00

i understand that you have to install drivers after windows intstall but i'm still having problems.  it seems when windows installs, i put in the other drivers CD that came with the computer and i still have no luck getting them installed - how do you use that driver CD properly?  i think that my problem is not understand how to use that CD.

thanks

mrlepto

What is your computer model and the version of windows that's installed?

The correct order to install drivers on Dell desktops, is HERE

Bev.

3 Posts

March 14th, 2011 21:00

It has the OS that came with the PC and unless you upgrade to some other OS (e.g. Vista or Windows 7) you will have the original OS. 

With all the software problems you appear to have (it is not hardware - this forum section) it looks like the Operating System is corrupted and ultimately it's going to take a new install to get everything corrected.  Many Dell's came with a recovery partition on the hard drive that will restore the PC back to the original factory condition - CTRL/F11 at bootup.  If yours has the recovery partion, that is the easiest way to restore - just backup your user data to some other storage media before you do the reinstall so you can restore it after the reinstallation. 

If you have to do a manual install from discs, the correct and required install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Desktop System Software (on applicable models) (3) Install motherboard chipset drivers (4) Install device drivers including the Dell sound, video, ethernet, etc.

Sorry I can't offer you anything else, but with the problems you stated it looks like a reinstall is needed.

i understand that you have to install drivers after windows intstall but i'm still having problems.  it seems when windows installs, i put in the other drivers CD that came with the computer and i still have no luck getting them installed - how do you use that driver CD properly?  i think that my problem is not understand how to use that CD.

thanks

3 Posts

March 14th, 2011 22:00

hi Bev,   i understand the correct order to install, i'm just not sure how to use that other CD, the driver one, that came with it.  do i use it while windows is running or do i restart the comuter and boot from it and use those setups where it asks me to extract drivers, etc.  i'm completely lost on that part.

thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 15th, 2011 06:00

Hi Mrlepto,

With Windows running, insert that disc and you'll be prompted how to install the drivers.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 15th, 2011 09:00

3 Posts

March 15th, 2011 18:00

ok, i got it finally - whew!  back up and running - thanks to all that helped!  the install sequence is definately what has getting me.

cheers!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 15th, 2011 20:00

mrlepto

You are welcome and pleased to hear the system is running.

Bev.

No Events found!