toplap
1 Copper

Second Hard Drive Dell Inspiron 3847

Jump to solution
Can anyone direct me to info on installing a second hard drive to Inspiron 3847 computer for purposes of image back up using Acronis True Image Home software back up? There is space for an optical drive which is totally foreign to me, but nothing is said anywhere in the material in users manual about adding second hard drive which seems to be a pretty normal hardware addition. Not savvy in these matters. First time forum poster Thanks
0 Kudos
15 Replies
8 Platinum

RE: Second Hard Drive Dell Inspiron 3847

Jump to solution

toplap

Dell has not published the procedures for installing an additional SATA hard drive, the Inspiron 3847 has a second 3.5" bay, for the second hard drive next to the primary hard drive, there should be a set of rails located in the bay, two 6-32X1/4, phillips head screws are needed, to attach the rails.

The procedures on pages 26 to 28 of the owners manual should give you an idea of what is required for the installation.

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-3847-deskto...

You will need a SATA data cable there should be a spare SATA power connector inside the case.

After installing the drive enter the system setup and check that the hard drive is 'enabled' [on] and recognized.

For Windows to recognize the second hard drive, it must be partitioned and formatted.

Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Storage, Disk Management, right click new drive, select format, then you can assign a drive letter.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

Squint92543
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have a 500 gig SATA drive from my former Win.7 Desktop. It contains mostly data. I don't want to format it again. When I purchased this Dell Desktop I told the sales tech. I needed to be able to install my old data drive.  I have physically installed it and on booting I see the message smething like "Completed checking Drive D for errors" 100%" But then it just shows the little dots circling and presumably shuts off.  At least after I seem to need a shave and a haircut and leave and return I find it has turned off.

The 2nd drive was formatted and partitioned by the Windows 7 computer and I don't want to lose that data. Must I return this Desktop since the data is more important to me than this particular model of computer?

0 Kudos
antoonv
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I tried to link onto the link in this reply from you and the page showed an error. I too, want to add a 2nd internal harddrive in my new Inspiron 3847. thank you.

0 Kudos
pea1052nut
2 Iron

Jump to solution

www.manualowl.com/.../404712

copy/paste go  how to replace your HD

0 Kudos
toplap
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Link is dead to me too, can't recall what it provided.  Gave up trying to add 2nd hard drive to Inspiron 3847 and added external drive instead.  Tried numerous times calling Dell support, was hung up on twice because I couldn't understand the guy, other calls and attempts failed for one reason or another.  Concluded Dell does not sell the drive for which the computer is clearly capable of installation and will not refer to another vendor for a reason not stated.  Believe there is something about the second drive hook up that is flawed.  The computer is a cheapee and the only part Dell sells for it is extra memory.  Freely admit I have neither the smarts nor patience to deal with this.  My computer and probably yours requires exact configuration because of power cable length and location of bay directly under installed hard drive.  For my purposes the external hard drive works and with USB 3 is fast enough.

Good luck, but I hesitate calling Dell for any support or any thing other than placing an order of a listed product.  Although I will say, in thinking the person I talked to knew what I wanted, I ordered and received a hard drive and brackets, close to $100, which wasn't close to the one needed.  Dell accepted the returned drive, told me to keep the brackets, useless to me, and refunded in full for both drive and brackets.

0 Kudos
8 Platinum

Jump to solution

I tried to link onto the link in this reply from you and the page showed an error. I too, want to add a 2nd internal harddrive in my new Inspiron 3847. thank you.

antoonv

The link is now fixed:

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
antoonv
1 Copper

Jump to solution

TOPLAP:

I received this reply and the link worked this time:

harddrive in my new Inspiron 3847. thank you.

antoonv

The link is now fixed:

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-3847-deskto...

View online

0 Kudos
8 Platinum

Jump to solution

antoonv

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
NewDellPCUser
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Awesome reply, worked perfectly, thank you for the easy to follow directions, you are a Rock Star!!! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos