peggylenox
2 Iron

Server "Burned"

I have a Dell XPS 400.  It recently crashed.  It was under warranty, but before calling Dell, I decided to call a local technician whom we have used and is well thought of in case it was something easy.

He confirmed that it had crashed and took it to his shop to backup my information.  He returned it and after about two weeks of suposedly "one day" service, I had a new hard drive and also a motherboard.

I then called the local guy and learned that their server where my information was stored had "burned" and everything was lost.  Needless to say, I was quite upset. The old hard drive was actually working during that two week period before I received the new one from Dell, so I could have backed up my documents and setting, but figured it had already been so, didn't need to.

Mostly, I wanted to know if anyone else had ever had this kind of thing happen.  Don't computer tech's back up material they have that belongs to customers?  Some people have suggested that I sue them. I think that's kind of dumb, as it wouldn't bring back my information, so I wouldn't do that.  But, I hope they learn something from this.

This computer is only about 2 years old, so I still have my old computer and can get some information from that.  I have a USB2 data link which is no hooked up.  So, if I can figure out how it works, that will help.  Any suggestions? I'll search these always helpful forums when I finish venting!  A sad upset peggy from lenox

I

0 Kudos