Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

August 11th, 2005 22:00

Setting up a dual set of operating systems

I have been seeking a dual system consisting of Windows XP and Windows 98.  Both would be set up on separate primary partitions.  There has been no difficulty with XP, but Win98 was never complete.  I have tried the Win98 setup in a myriad of ways always with the same result.  Finally, I cleared everything of the drive, both systems and their partitions.  I then set up a single primary partition and attempted to load Win98 alone.  The setup goes through 98% of its work and then the system ends up with the Safe Mode option screen just the same as before.  In the setup and towards the end, the following statements appear:

"Please wait while Setup updates your configuration files." 
then,
     "Completed updating files, continuing to load Windows..." 

Since Win98 and Dimension 4600 are all that's involved, I feel the problem is with their relation.  I have no idea how to search for the trouble or test for it so I am greatly at a loss.  I would greatly appreciate and helpful suggestions that anyone can provide.

625 Posts

August 12th, 2005 03:00

Is your hard drive formatted in the NTFS file system? That is not compatible with older OSs, and that could be causing the problem. Also, have you tried to install with a different disk?

August 12th, 2005 15:00

zebraback,

Please see if this Microsoft instructional article helps you to do this correctly.     http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;217210

Good luck,

Jane

3 Posts

August 12th, 2005 16:00

Thank you for your help. 

In my final attempt to boot Win98 I cleared my hard drive including Win XP and the NFTS partition in which it had been installed.  The partition used by Win98, both in the lone installation and the dual installation attempts was always formatted to FAT 32.  The installation attempts were tried with both Win98 and Win98 SE.  Sadly, the results were the same in all tries.

3 Posts

August 12th, 2005 16:00

Thank you, Jane.  I have downloaded the suggested article and will study it closely in hope of an answer.
No Events found!