NellieSG
1 Nickel

Should I buy a new Desktop? And if so, can I sync everything through plugs? :)

I bought a top of the line desktop with extra add-ons from Dell more than 10 years ago. You can see the specs from my profile that I'll update soon if you're interested. I've to say it's still working well. I may have problems with the storage space being less than 15% free, though - that means I cannot install new games. 

My system specs are: Dell Dim 9100 Intel (R)

Pentium R (D) CPU 3.00 GHz

2.99 GHz, 2.00GB of Ram

Physical Address Extension

145 GB Hard Drive 

14 GB Free Space

I am a musician, so please be patient with me. I did do my best in treating this computer well to the best of my knowledge.

I gave it lots of TLC. The 10 year old keyboard still works, I vacuum it once in 6 months. I changed the Creative Audigy 2s soundcard

when it spoilt, I added Ram. 

I don't really want to change it. Actually I do not want to change it because I've other priorities for my money, such as taking care of my parents. 

And yet I am worried, what if my desktop spoils one day,... Is it possible for a Dell Technician or anyone else to transfer everything to a desktop/laptop 

including my Window User profiles and have all the files where it currently is. I have been using Windows XP, to the latest Windows? 

Should I buy a dell desktop/laptop? I feel kindly towards Dell because my Dell desktop has lasted so long. I have been using it daily for 10 years and

I do not always switch it off.

So, which Dell desktop/laptop should I buy?

Should I buy a steady state drive as advertised by Dell? But I do want to play LAN gaming on it. But really, I cannot afford to buy a top of the

line laptop or desktop currently. My priorities have changed, that even as a wannabe gamer, I cannot really fulfill my desires to get the fastest

best laptop/desktop to get an edge over others. But I'm scared that one day, I will not be able to turn on my CPU. 

I wonder if my current desktop can last for another 10 years. Kudos to Dell! 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Kelbear1
4 Germanium

Re: Should I buy a new Desktop? And if so, can I sync everything through plugs? :)

Feel fortunate that everything is still working as you beat the norm.  If you don't really want the expense of a new system, I would just buy a new hard drive.  You can clone everything over to the new drive so everything remains exactly as it is now except that you will have a lot more space available.  The cloning software would be free through Seagate or Western Digital to download and use as long as one of the drives is this make.   I recently cloned a Seagate to Samsung drive and used Seagate's software.   You can look at getting a 320 GB or 500 GB SATA hard drive.  If you have the Dell software it would be best to do a fresh install of the operating system and you could use your old drive as back up if you want and just manually move files over to the new one that you need.  There is a "What Do I Buy" forum HERE if you want to get a new computer.  

0 Kudos

Re: Should I buy a new Desktop? And if so, can I sync everything through plugs? :)

Hi NellieSG,

Welcome to the Community.

Looking at your current system specification and your usage, I would like to recommend a new Dell computer. Coming to the question should you buy a desktop or laptop. It depends on your needs. If you are looking for portability then you should go for a laptop. Please visit our site http://www.dell.com/ and you can browse through our desktop and laptop models.

If you want to backup your data from your old system I would recommend you to buy external hard drive. Most of the external hard drives are bundled with data backup application which helps you to backup your data automatically from your system and it can also restore the data automatically after connecting it back to the computer. As an alternative you can use backup utility in windows XP to backup data. Please visit the following site for instructions to backup data using windows backup utility.

support.microsoft.com/.../308422

Also you can backup your data manually by copying “My documents” folder C:\Documents and Settings\”user name” to external hard drive.

External hard drives are available in different capacity. Please visit the following page for more information.

accessories.us.dell.com/.../category.aspx

Kindly revert back and let me know for further clarifications.

Thanks and regards,

Vishwas M

Certified Dell Social Media Communities Professional

0 Kudos
8 Platinum

NellieSG

Wrote: "I wonder if my current desktop can last for another 10 years. Kudos to Dell!"

It is possible, I have a Dell desktop purchased in early 2000 and it still runs like clockwork, using the original factory installed motherboard and Dell proprietary power supply.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
NellieSG
1 Nickel

Hi : Thank you for chipping in and trying to explain to me what to do. Technically I know that these can be done, but I cannot follow the formal steps. I did try buying a a 500 GB external hard disk from Mustafa, manufactured in Taiwan called Transcend and it was supposed to do what you said it was supposed to do, but it did not. Basically I was hoping someone from Dell could to transfer all my files from my old CPU to my new desktop or laptop. 

According to here: http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/dps/en/ap/os_installation_data_transfer_backup?c=...

They will charge SGD$200 for the service, on-site transfer, but it's only up to 9.4GB worth of data on 2 CDS, I have 140GB worth of unsorted data. I am also not sure I really need do those stuff they mentioned transferred. I use Opera and Chrome (although I've nothing against FF) and I save browsing sessions, not bookmarks. I only use internet emails, so they are stored online. 

If they would offer to do all these for me, like transfer over everything to my new Dell without cost, or nominal cost, I would be more okay to buying a new Dell even though I will still be using my old Dell because I like it better and have no issues with it. 

Nellie from Singapore

0 Kudos
NellieSG
1 Nickel

Hi Kelbear1: Thanks for introducing to me the "What Do I Buy" forum, I am studying it now, although I will not buy so soon. However, I'm sorry I do not know how to back up 130GB worth of stuff, even though I know that external hard drives are now 1TB or 2TB... etc. Somehow I got left back in dinosaur times with regards to practical aspects, and I'm stymied by the various user profiles I have on my computer and all the files I have, some of which I duplicated across the user profiles, some of which are not, Kelbear1.

To manually move for 5 different user profiles with messy files seems a hassle. Is it not? I seem to have a partitioned drive in my CPU, would that affect it? Sorry for currently being stupid.

When I bought the desktop, it was with Windows XP SP1,.. then in btw SP2 & 3 patch, there was a minor problem with the motherboard maybe 8 years ago that I paid SGD$250 for. It wasn't a lot then, less than 10% of the original price. I used SGD$800 worth of coupons, and the final bill which I paid by 0% monthly installments was $2980 or thereabouts. I know now I can get SGD$600 desktops for specs supposedly better than my desktop. However, i can use that money for my parents. Furthermore, I'm not sure that the desktop will not spoil after 1 year like the one my dad bought. He wanted to save money, and he just bought a basic one that was advertised by Dell, then about SGD$1200 for a desktop 3 years ago. It spoilt after slightly less than a year. The problem with that is, I recommended Dell to him, but I did not recommend he get the most basic version, but he thought the most basic version would do.

He was the one who taught me all the Windows BASIC and system commands when I was in kindergarten. But now we don't keep up with the hardware curve.

Nellie from Singapore

0 Kudos
NellieSG
1 Nickel

Good morning Shesagordie! I love cats! :P But our Singaporean cats may have less hair than the ones you are used to :P Your cat has character!

About 3 years ago I did change the fan. I think it stopped working because the sound got quite loud. This is what I mean by TLC. I used second hand parts for all the changes. But I'm more interested in protecting myself if the worst thing happens. I do not have a computer-literate friend to help me back up and explain in real life, but I don't mind links and reading up on them. The problem is the ones Vishwas listed were written in official stilted language, and not very friendly.

Nellie from Singapore

0 Kudos
8 Platinum

Nellie,

So do I, her name is Bubbles, because she has a bubbly personality and character.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos

Nellie,     Yes, Bubbles is awesome. If I am reading right, your dad's computer should have been under warranty. Also, my first Dell was a very basic one. It was submerged underwater for 2 weeks(not kidding), then fell three feet to the ground.Took about a week to  take apart and clean the flood mud out of it  with gardem hose and brush, only had to replace power supply, cd drive, and hard drive. I might have been able to save them , but I took a long time because I thought it wouldn't work anyway. Motherboard,case fan  all usb connections,  case and lights,cpu and assembly, graphics card, and all wiring works. I think it's 7 years old and still going strong.Also, understand some floodwater is almost like acid.  It was in my case.I thik if you have the time, you could learn to put your stuff on another drive.

0 Kudos
NellieSG
1 Nickel

Thank you oligopolycorp,.. Smiley Happy Right now, i'm trying to learn how to uninstall eset antivirus COMPLETELY and download a freeware one... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos