Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

May 12th, 2008 06:00

Should I worry about GPU temperature?

Hello,

I have the XPS 420 desktop that came with a nvidia 8800 GTX graphics card and I have just noticed the card is already at 58 °C in idle, and maybe at 70 when playing... The ambient temperature is still somewhat cool, so I fear that in the middle of the summer it will be worse. Also, I find it strange that the fan sometimes begin to  spin faster only for a few seconds. Is this normal? It often happens in idle, when on the windows desktop.

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

May 12th, 2008 08:00

go into the nvidia control panel..and see if their is a setting for increasing your fan speed...i have read threads were dell sets the fan speed at around 30%, and their have been some that increased it, and got much lower temps on video adapter

rivatuner is a software program you can download, and set the fan speed ...

this is what i would do, and also keep you computer in an cool enviroment, the cooler the room ,,the better.

14.4K Posts

May 12th, 2008 09:00

Those temp are very good for that card.. If you are a bit concerned then Pick up a copy of Riviatuner and adjust the GPU fan while gaming..but with those temp you won't need much

60 Posts

May 12th, 2008 09:00

If it makes you feel any better my XPS420 has a 8800GT and it idles at 65C and I am almost in winter here.

A few months ago in summer it idled at 70C+:mansurprised:

Message Edited by SamR1 on 05-12-2008 05:41 AM

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

May 12th, 2008 17:00

as long as you don,t see arti-facts , that sort of behavior, i would also agree you are okay...lot of the video adapters today run warm,,,the manufacturerss try to get the most out of these cards, and sometimes that causes warm chips.

31 Posts

May 12th, 2008 18:00

It's okay, I am not too concerned because it usually doesn't get very hot where I live. I had already heard about the speed only set to 30%, but haven't been able to find a way to increase this in nvidia control panel. But thanks for telling me about rivatuner, I'll see if it works.

I shall also keep an eye on the inside of the case and clean it when there is too much dust.

About the fan suddenly spinning at top speed for no reason, it is all right? 

Thanks for you replies people, have a nice day/night =)

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

May 12th, 2008 20:00

some video cards have their own bios, and they will increase fan speed with the chipset reaches certain temp...i would not work about it...

190 Posts

May 12th, 2008 22:00

Yes, the newer gpu's run hot.  I am one of the lucky ones who can adjust the gpu fan via the nVidia control panel.  I have it set to 50% which equals a 50c idle temp on my 8800GT.  I've also added a pci slot exhaust fan right above the gpu.  This help dissapate the hot air around the card quite a bit.

31 Posts

May 24th, 2008 09:00

It's me again...

Now the problem with the fan running at top speed is ALWAYS occuring. Help!

I tried using RivaTuner to fix this but it seems to have no influence at all.

31 Posts

May 24th, 2008 09:00

Just to make it clear, the temperature seems ok... 65 °C

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

May 25th, 2008 04:00

i would not worry about it,,unless you get artifacts , or desktop freezes....
No Events found!