Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 22nd, 2014 23:00

ShwiconXP9106 Error Message

Is there anyone who knows anything about the "Shwicon XP 9106 ! Load configuration file failed" Error message that randomly shows up on my computer? This just started happening within the last week. And when I get the message window on my screen, the computer becomes inoperable. Then I have to manually shut it down and start it back up. Everything works for awhile, then I get the message again. Haven't found much info on this, so I am clueless on how to fix this. I also have gotten three other Error Messages along with this, but haven't seen them lately. They are : ~ STService.exe - Application Error. The instruction at 0x0000000000BDE9E5 referenced memory at 0x0000000000BDE9E5. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0xc0000056 ~ C:\Windows\System32\msdt.exe ~ IAStorIcon.exe - Application Error. Process ID = 0x1184 (4484) Thread ID = 0x1018 (4120) What the freak is goin' on? I had the computer for 3 years without a glitch. And now this.! Any ideas? I hope my computer isn't ready to STB! Thank you in advance for any help!!! Mike

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 29th, 2014 11:00

Random freezes can be hard to trace...

Did you completely remove McAfee before you installed PC Matic? Not good to have 2 anti-malware apps running on the same PC because they may interfere with each other and cause chaos. And I'd be careful using PC Matic because it may do something unintentional that forces you to do a clean reinstall to recover.

First thing would be to back up all your personal files on external media ASAP, to be safe. :emotion-5: 

BTW: How much free space is available on the hard drive and when was last time you defragged it?

After backing up, reboot and press F12 before Windows starts to load. Go to Utilities partition and run all the diagnostics including RAM and extended hard drive tests. Copy down any error messages reported.

If no errors reported:

1. Power off and unplug.
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Open case  - caution heat sink may be very HOT
  4. Carefully reseat RAM modules and PCI cards in their slots, and reseat cable connectors to / from motherboard at both ends.
  5. Use some canned air to blow out all the dust bunnies
  6. Close case and run it to for a while to see if it's ok now

Assuming it's ok now, try installed the carder reader driver again.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 31st, 2014 20:00

Please do us a favor by adding dell.com to the Compatibility view list (Tools>Compatibility view list settings) in whatever version of IE you're using so this stupid forum software will allow you to format your posts into small, separate paragraphs instead of as one giant ramble. Absolutely no offense meant toward you, but just my latest rant to Dell to fix whatever compatibility problem this software platform has with IE that removes all the formatting unless IE is set to use compatibility mode. :emotion-4:

Back to your issues...

If you're getting the No Hard Drive Found error, you need to fix that before going any further. Reboot and press F2 to open BIOS setup. Look for the listing of drives and see if your hard drive is listed correctly there. If not, make sure the SATA 0 port is set to Enabled (On) in BIOS setup because that's where the HDD should be connected to the motherboard.

EDIT: Be sure to save any changes before exiting BIOS setup.

If SATA 0 is enabled but the drive is not detected in BIOS, try this:

1. Power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  2. Open the case and remove motherboard battery
  3. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  4. Carefully reseat SATA power and SATA data cables between HDD and PSU and between HDD and motherboard
  5. Reinstall the battery (right-side-up!)*
  6. Close case and reboot with only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected
  7. Go back into BIOS setup and see if the drive is recognized now

*Note: if battery is more than ~2-3 years old, it might be a good time for a new one (3-volt CR2032 lithium ion battery; ~$2 at discount stores). Replacing the battery now would rule that out as part of this problem.

If reseating the cables and clearing BIOS doesn't stop the No HDD error, you have to consider the possibility that the HDD failed.

With Win 7, the factory restore feature should be on the F8 menu>Advanced Options, assuming the HDD is recognized. Ctrl-F11 is only for systems running Win XP. Keep in mind that if you do the factory restore, you'll lose everything on the HDD, so I hope all your files are backed up on external media.

If you can't get the restore to run from the F8 menu, but HDD is properly detected and your files are backed up, you can boot from the Dell Win 7 Reinstallation DVD and do a clean install.

If you don't have the Win 7 DVD, are in the US or Canada, you can request it from Dell here. If the system is no longer under warranty, Dell may charge you for the disk, or they may just refuse.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 1st, 2014 13:00

Yea! You've got paragraphs now! :emotion-21: :emotion-21:

Couple more questions before replacing the battery:

1. Do you have a RAID setup in this system, eg 2 internal hard drives either sharing data storage (RAID0) or 2 drives with one backing up the other (RAID1)?
  2. Open BIOS setup and see how SATA Mode is set, either RAID or AHCI. If you have a RAID setup (see above) SATA Mode should be set to RAID. If no RAID, SATA mode should be set to AHCI.
  3. Make sure the boot hard drive is the first boot priority on the boot sequence list.
  4. Copy down all current BIOS settings
  5.  Be sure to save any changes when you exit setup.
  6. Reboot and see if hard drive is recognized now or you still get the No HDD error.

If you still get the No HDD error, remove/replace the motherboard battery, as indicated in my prior post. And reseat RAM modules and PCI cards while the battery is out, but you can probably omit the steps about reseating the cables because it appears the drive is recognized in BIOS. Use canned air to blow out the dust bunnies. When that's all done and battery reinstalled, close up and see if it boots now.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 23rd, 2014 12:00

Always include PC model and version of Windows. :emotion-55:

Shwicon XP 9106 is probably the card reader driver. Suggest you install the latest version of that driver for whatever model this is and version of Windows running.

9 Posts

July 28th, 2014 22:00

Thank you ROHE for your suggestion. I will that a try. And just to make it known, I have a Dell XPS 8300 Desktop with and Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 8 GB of RAM, a 64 bit Operating System with Windows 7. Also some additional information on this problem. Over the last few days when my computer did lock up, I do not received the Shwicon XP 9106 Error Message. When my computer is up and running, I could be using any given application, everything is functioning smoothly, then, without notice or warning, everything will just lock up. I look at my Desktop and all my Shortcut Icons are gone. Any application I try to open up won't or the window will come up and it is blank. My only option is to shut the computer down manually. And just today, I decided to purchase the PC Matic Home and download it to my computer, since my McAfee membership is about to expire. I ran the PC Matic program, cleaned up my computer. The performance of our computer seemed much better. But when used the computer to go online to log into this Forum to add additional comments, the computer locked up on me several times. I was typing along, then everything stopped working. A message popped up saying that Dell web page stopped loading. One time I received a "MsSpellCheckingFacility.exe - Application Error. The message said that "The instruction at 0x000000013F36B431 referenced memory at 0x000000002309BE9. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0x0000056." I am totally dumbfounded now! And the other thing that I should mention is that we have two computers in our house connected to the same Internet Cable. One has a problem, the other works fine, which is the one I am using now to type out this Post. I guess I will have to take the computer to a shop and have them analyze it if I can't get an answer to this problem from someone in the Forum Community. This is my last hold out. Hopefully someone has dealt with this problem before and can give advice on how to fix the problem. Many thanks in advance!

9 Posts

July 31st, 2014 15:00

Hi Rohe - After all the research I've been doing, along with posting several questions to different computer Forums, and talking to different people with more knowledge that I have about computers, it seems that no one has a real solution. It has been suggested that I do a Complete System Restore and put it back to the factory settings. I think this is the option that I will go with. Several people say they do this after they have owned a computer for a few years. They say your computer starts getting bogged down after awhile and it helps to refresh it this way and for the most part, gets rid of problems like mine. I did attempt the System Restore Procedure, but at the last step where it asked if I wanted to begin the Formatting and I clicked "YES", I got an Error Message with the Numbers: 0x400110020000100A. Not sure what caused this error. I thought that I had followed the correct steps to get me to System Restore Mode, but it didn't work. I started looking for the correct procedure for initiating this process, but I found "several" different suggested ways to initiate this process. Some say to turn on your computer, press F8 several times before the Windows screen comes up and that will take several options for diagnosing the computer, one option is for The System Restore Function, which is the one I used. Some say you need the CD that came with the computer to initiate the process. I never got one. Some say to Press and Hold F8 after starting up the computer, some say Press and hold Ctrl + F12, some say Press and hold Ctrl + F11. Which is the correct way? I thought this System Restore would be pretty much cut and dry. NOT! Where can I find the correct way for my computer. I have the Dell XPS 8300 with the Intel i7 - 2600 CPU@ 3.40, 8GB of RAM, 64 bit Windows 7 64 bit operating system. In the mean time, I will run all the Diagnostics Tests that you suggested. I will let you know if I get any messages. Thank you, Rohe, for your help. .......Just ran the Diagnostic Test and a received an Error Code while it was checking the Hard drive. The Code was: 2000-0141 Validation 40508 Msg. Hard Drive - No Hard Drive detected. I can honestly say that I still have one. :) Just not sure what cause this error.

9 Posts

August 1st, 2014 10:00

Hi Rohe,

I added Dell.com to my Compatibility View List. Hope this clears these postings up at your end.

I started up the computer this morning, pressed F2 and got into BIOS setup. In the Main Section, under Device Information, I looked at SATA 0 port and it showed the number of my HDD next to it. It didn't show anything about being Enabled or Disabled.  Also in the BOOT menu, there was a Hard Disk Drive section and that had the number of my HDD listed also.

I will be replacing the battery today. If you think I should replace the battery first based on what I've told you, then I will. Thank you for all your help!

9 Posts

August 4th, 2014 10:00

I have the SATA Mode set at AHCI and the boot hard drive is set on first boot priority. I ran the diagnostic tool and the first test ran with no errors. At the end of that test, it ask if I wanted to perform a more "in depth, advanced" testing step (...can't remember what the name of that procedure, sorry...) and I OK'd that which took longer, but that scan/test produced the Error Code:  2000-0142 - Validation Code 60234 - Msg. Hard Drive 0-5/N9VS55SCD Self Test unsuccessful Status - 7.

I think my next step will be to replace the Motherboard Battery and reseat the RAM modules and PCI Cards. By this, I take it you mean just pulling them out of their slot and then reseat them back in, correct? 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 4th, 2014 11:00

Sorry to tell you, but that error code from the extended tests says the hard drive failed... :emotion-9:

Time to buy a new HDD. You can replace the battery and reseat the RAM and PCI cards, but I don't think it's going to help with a Status -7 HDD error.

No Events found!