Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

JN

January 19th, 2003 20:00

Sipix Stylecam Blink digital camera crashes Windows XP

I am using a Sipix Stylecam Blink digital camera on a Windows XP 8250 PC.  I have USB 2.0 (VIA Enhanced USB Controllers).

When I download photos to a host program I am getting regular BSODs caused by problems with a USB driver. The BSOD does not *always* happen, but occurs about 4 out of 5 times.  Sometimes it happens when the thumbnails are being downloaded. Sometimes it happens at the beginning of the picture downloads, sometimes during the download. It happens during download of single pictures, and download of multiple photos.  The problems happens with all programs (PhotoImpression, Photoshop, Word).

The BSOD screen reads:

"STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000080 0x00000002 0x00000001 0xF9532CBB)

USBUHCI.SYS

Address: F9532CBB base at F953000, datestamp 3D6DDC30"

In some cases the crash has corrupted the filesystem causing CKHDSK to start when the PC is rebooted.

System Information shows that the VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller shares four IRQs (16, 17, 18, 19) with other hardware.  There are no relevant "Problem Devices" shown (the only Problem Devies showing are two disabled network adapters)

Device Manager shows no problems with either Imaging Devices (the camera shows up) nor in the USB controllers. There are no conflicts. The drivers in Windows/System have not changed since installation of Windows XP. The camera battery appears full on the LCD.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled new drivers.  I have swapped USB connections.  I have read all the support notes on the Sipix website, including running USB Doctor as they suggest.  There is a note on the site saying "If you have a computer system in which USB 2.0 is installed, you may find that you are unable to transfer your photos from the camera to the host computer".  Not very helpful.

The camera worked fine on my previous PC (running Windows 98).

Can anyone help?  What is USBUHCI.SYS?

--
JP Nicholls  /  jpn(AT)mooses(DOT)co(DOT)uk

2.8K Posts

January 20th, 2003 03:00

Ah, the infamous DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop error. As you'll notice if you read the article I linked to in the previous sentence, this Stop error is usually caused by installing faulty drivers or system services. Since the file USBUHCI.SYS (one of the USB miniport drivers natively supported by Windows XP; you can read more about it here) is specifically mentioned I'd recommend uninstalling and reinstalling your USB controller drivers then looking into a driver update for the Sipix digital camera.

January 20th, 2003 20:00

I have checked the USB drivers - they have not changed since I first installed XP (I have an image backed up).  I have tried disabling all other devices which share the IRQs.  No joy - still get BSODs.

I have emailed Sipix asking them when they intend releasing a driver which supports USB2.0.  Meanwhile, the camera is unreliable on this system.

2.8K Posts

January 20th, 2003 20:00

JP Nicholls,
I didn't say you should check the USB drivers, I said you should uninstall and reinstall them. Device drivers become corrupted rather frequently. The way such corruption usually manifests itself is through an error message referencing a file related to the device driver that is corrupted. Sound familiar?

Your question to Sipix technical support is a good one, but a better question to ask is whether the driver you installed for the camera is compatible with Windows XP.

January 21st, 2003 08:00

When I said I checked them, I did a bit-level compare with the originals, which I had in an image of the drive. 

However I appreciate that this isn't the same as uninstalling/reistalling, so I will gird my loins and try that tonight.

> a better question to ask is whether the driver you installed for
> the camera is compatible with Windows XP.

The Sipix website says: "Did you know that the StyleCam Blink is compatible with Windows XP right out of the box? It's true. "

But then the say:"If you have a computer system in which USB 2.0 is installed, you may find that you are unable to transfer your photos from the camera to the host computer. "

Some economy with the truth I think...

2.8K Posts

January 21st, 2003 15:00

@JP Nicholls wrote:

The Sipix website says: "Did you know that the StyleCam Blink is compatible with Windows XP right out of the box? It's true. "

But then the say:"If you have a computer system in which USB 2.0 is installed, you may find that you are unable to transfer your photos from the camera to the host computer. "

Some economy with the truth I think...

Ah, the infamous caveat! Was that information by any chance posted anywhere on the camera's box or in the printed documentation that came with it? In light of this I think the need to reinstall your USB 2.0 controller drivers has vanished, at least for the time being. Have you tried to find out from Sipix why there is a problem transferring photos from the camera to a computer with USB 2.0 support?

January 21st, 2003 18:00

> Was that information by any chance posted anywhere on the camera's box
> or in the printed documentation that came with it?

No.  I've had the camera about 6 months - since before the release of XP Service Pack 1 (with USB 2.0 support)

> In light of this I think the need to reinstall your USB 2.0 controller
> drivers has vanished, at least for the time being.

Do you think so?  I have done a bit level compare - there's been no change.

> Have you tried to find out from Sipix why there is a problem
> transferring photos from the camera to a computer with USB 2.0 support?

I have told them about the problem but had no reply.  I will ask more questions. Sipix
technical support is notoriously bad.

What I know about USB 2.0 could be written on the back of a stamp.  Is USB 2.0 a feature of hardware or software?  If I load up a Windows 98 partition (doh!) just for this camera, will the ports become USB 1.1 ports when I boot into 98?

2.8K Posts

February 1st, 2003 01:00

Technically speaking USB 2.0 is a function of both hardware and software. As a rule, when dealing with USB ports that are integrated on a motherboard, two ports are operated by one USB controller. The controllers are what show up in device manager as USB root hubs. USB 2.0 ports, as I'm sure you already know, can operate both USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 devices but in order for any device to operate at USB 2.0 speeds when plugged into a USB 2.0 port, there must be USB 2.0 driver support installed for both the controller that runs the port and the device plugged into that port. Hopefully you don't find that too confusing.

Microsoft doesn't provide USB 2.0 support for Windows 98 so if you were to install Windows 98 on another partition on your hard drive then after you install the motherboard's chipset drivers your system's USB ports would function as 1.1. The only exception to this rule is if you have a USB 2.0 device that the manufacturer has written Windows 98-compatible USB 2.0 drivers for.
No Events found!