Highlighted
mvmerk09
1 Nickel

Six beeps when turning on INSPIRON 530 Desktop.. Won't boot up

Jump to solution

Hi,

PC is 6 years old this DEC so I realize that parts will go bad.  Recently have 6 beeps upon powering the unit up - it won't boot up and all that happens are six beeps over and over.  I thought it was the hard drive and so I went out and bought new one and replaced it, but still can't get past the six beeps.

Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem is?  [Amin Note: Service Tag Edited per TOU policy]

Thanks very much in advance for any assistance.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
rdunnill
5 Iridium

RE: Six beeps when turning on INSPIRON 530 Desktop.. Won't boot up

Jump to solution

If it was booting slowly and randomly blue-screening, it could be the power supply. My relative's 5150 had those symptoms, and I figured it was either the power supply or the hard drive. It was the former, although he did get a 7200-RPM 1tb hard drive at a rock-bottom price.

0 Kudos
8 Platinum

Jump to solution

mvmerk09

What colour is the power button light and is it solid, or blinking?

6 Beeps indicate a video issue, are you using the integrated graphics, or is there a discrete video card installed?

More troubleshooting info, can be found here:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-530_owner%27...

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
mvmerk09
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply!

The power light is Green and it is solid - stays this same way when I press the On button.

There is a discrete video card installed.  According to my original packing slip it is:  "128MB NVIDIA 8300GS, INS

Thanks again and I will await your further advice.

0 Kudos
mvmerk09
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

UPDATE

I re-read your message and think I was looking at the wrong power light.  
I was referring to the light on the back of the pc (below where the plug is).  With reference to the "power light" on the front of the PC - it is steady blue when I turn it on and stays steady blue while the 6 beeps continuously sound.

Hope this helps!

thank you.

8 Platinum

Jump to solution

mvmerk09

Open the case, then remove and reinstall the video card, to see if this makes a difference.

No difference, power down, remove the video card and connect the monitor to integrated graphics VGA port on the back panel, restart the 530 to see what happens. 

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

mvmerk09
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi Bev,

Wanted to thank you again for your assistance. I had to be in the hospital last week and did not get a chance to get back to you.

I took out the video card and connected to integrated VGA port and the machine booted up perfectly!  I called DELL about a new card that would be compatible and must admit that they were very helpful in finding a replacement that would work ok with my pc.  My next step will be to get  a new card, meanwhile I am using with the VGA connection.

thank you very much

mvmerk09

0 Kudos
8 Platinum

Jump to solution

mvmerk09

Happy to hear you found the answer to the issue.

Have you found an Inspiron 530 MT compatible PCI3 x16 video card yet?

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Iridium

Jump to solution
0 Kudos