Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 3rd, 2013 19:00

Six beeps when turning on INSPIRON 530 Desktop.. Won't boot up

Hi,

PC is 6 years old this DEC so I realize that parts will go bad.  Recently have 6 beeps upon powering the unit up - it won't boot up and all that happens are six beeps over and over.  I thought it was the hard drive and so I went out and bought new one and replaced it, but still can't get past the six beeps.

Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem is?  [Amin Note: Service Tag Edited per TOU policy]

Thanks very much in advance for any assistance.

4 Posts

November 4th, 2013 18:00

UPDATE

I re-read your message and think I was looking at the wrong power light.  
I was referring to the light on the back of the pc (below where the plug is).  With reference to the "power light" on the front of the PC - it is steady blue when I turn it on and stays steady blue while the 6 beeps continuously sound.

Hope this helps!

thank you.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 4th, 2013 19:00

mvmerk09

Open the case, then remove and reinstall the video card, to see if this makes a difference.

No difference, power down, remove the video card and connect the monitor to integrated graphics VGA port on the back panel, restart the 530 to see what happens. 

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 3rd, 2013 20:00

If it was booting slowly and randomly blue-screening, it could be the power supply. My relative's 5150 had those symptoms, and I figured it was either the power supply or the hard drive. It was the former, although he did get a 7200-RPM 1tb hard drive at a rock-bottom price.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 3rd, 2013 21:00

mvmerk09

What colour is the power button light and is it solid, or blinking?

6 Beeps indicate a video issue, are you using the integrated graphics, or is there a discrete video card installed?

More troubleshooting info, can be found here:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-530_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

4 Posts

November 4th, 2013 18:00

Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply!

The power light is Green and it is solid - stays this same way when I press the On button.

There is a discrete video card installed.  According to my original packing slip it is:  "128MB NVIDIA 8300GS, INS

Thanks again and I will await your further advice.

4 Posts

November 10th, 2013 14:00

Hi Bev,

Wanted to thank you again for your assistance. I had to be in the hospital last week and did not get a chance to get back to you.

I took out the video card and connected to integrated VGA port and the machine booted up perfectly!  I called DELL about a new card that would be compatible and must admit that they were very helpful in finding a replacement that would work ok with my pc.  My next step will be to get  a new card, meanwhile I am using with the VGA connection.

thank you very much

mvmerk09

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 10th, 2013 15:00

mvmerk09

Happy to hear you found the answer to the issue.

Have you found an Inspiron 530 MT compatible PCI3 x16 video card yet?

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 10th, 2013 20:00

No Events found!