Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 8th, 2013 12:00

Slight delay in hearing what I say on microphone

I am a member of an online karaoke community, and just recently changed out my older WinXP system with a Dell Inspiron 560 with Windows 7 (secondhand purchase from a family member).  I have noticed, in comparison to what I heard when I was using the XP system, that there is a slight delay in hearing myself in the speakers when I speak in the microphone.  I have the microphone (uses a 1/4 inch plug, not a USB microphone) and 2 music keyboards connected to a mixer board, which is then plugged into the mic jack on the back of the computer.  On my XP system, I had a Soundblaster sound card installed, on the Dell, this is using the sound connections on the mother board.  Was wondering if this is something from Windows 7 or if there needs to be adjustments in the sound properties to eliminate the delay...it makes it sound like an echo effect that makes it difficult to record songs.

6 Posts

October 9th, 2013 20:00

Actually, I was able to find the answer in the Microsoft forums.  It seems to be a common problem with Windows systems from Windows Vista onward.

You uncheck the "Listen to this device" box for the mic in Recording Devices, then in Playback Devices, go to the Level tab for the speakers, unmute the microphone there and increase the level to the desired level.  Tested it last night and had no problems.

1 Message

April 22nd, 2016 13:00

I would just like to point out that retrofan42's answer is correct for a newer Dell also.  Although it did not work for me at first.  Unmuting the microphone did not work for me in Playback -> Speakers -> Properties -> Levels.  I also had to unmute "Rear Pink In" and turn up the volume next to it. Then the microphone came through with no delay.

So the steps for getting rid of the microphone delay for a DELL PC with RealTek High Definition Audio is:

1. Right click the speaker icon in the taskbar and click on "Recording devices"

2. Click on Microphone -> Properties -> Listen

3. Uncheck "Listen to this device"

4. Right click on the speaker icon in the taskbar and click on "Playback devices"

5. Click on Speakers -> Properties -> Levels

6. Umute BOTH "Microphone" and "Rear Pink In" and turn up the volume level for both.

1.5K Posts

October 9th, 2013 00:00

Hi retrofan42,

I would suggest you to configure the microphone settings. You may refer to the link: http://dell.to/1hBg8hr.

You may completely uninstall and reinstall the audio drivers. Please follow the steps below:

•  Press ‘Windows’ key + R on ‘Desktop’ screen
  • Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in run box and press ‘Enter’
  • Click > sign next to ‘Sound, video and game controllers’
  • Right click each entry listed under ‘Sound, video and game controllers’ and click on ‘Uninstall’
  • Click ‘Yes’ on the security warning.

You may download and install the latest audio drivers from the link: http://dell.to/17UUD9V and the latest ‘Sound Blaster’ application from the link: http://dell.to/19hNLnj

You may update the system BIOS, please refer to the link: http://dell.to/GN6tIK.

Note: Before updating BIOS please ensure that:
*No external devices (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) should be connected.
*All other programs should be closed and documents saved.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist further.

3 Posts

October 9th, 2013 02:00

It sounds like (excuse the pun) your old computer had a dedicated sound card the onboard sound cards bundled with most computers are not really designed for the job you have in mind, and this suggests  the reason why it may be struggling, the best answer is to invest in a new dedicated sound card, one with a good processor and sample rate this will resolve the issue and these days can be bought for very little money 

1.5K Posts

October 10th, 2013 05:00

Hi Retrofan42,

I am glad the issue is resolved and I appreciate your technical expertise and efforts in resolving it. Thank you for sharing the resolution. I hope this will benefit others as well.

Feel free to reply for any further assistance. I will be glad to help you.

5 Posts

October 16th, 2014 15:00

I am having this same issue on my Dell.  This does not work for me.  Does anyone else have any suggestions?

1 Message

March 28th, 2017 10:00

thanx!!!!! worked!!!!!

No Events found!