billtaken
1 Copper

Smart TV Connection to Inspiron 580

Jump to solution

I purchased a Smart TV and have the following network adapters on my Dell INSPIRON 580
Broadcom NetLink ™ Gigabit Ethernet
DW1525 (802.11n) WLAN PCIe Card
Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
Do I also need some additional hardware or software to make the wireless connection?  The TV system is asking for a SSID name which I cannot find.
Thanks
  [ADMIN NOTE: Email ID removed per TOU policy]
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
7- Gold

RE: Smart TV Connection to Inspiron 580

Jump to solution

Bill, you're correct. So you need to buy a wireless router. They're not expensive and most are very easy to set up. My suggestion is to buy a wireless router that supports wireless B/G/N.

0 Kudos
7- Gold

Jump to solution

The WLAN minicard is a wireless network card. It connects your computer to a network and then to other devices on the network.

I'm not entirely sure how you would make the connection to the TV. It must connect to the network, probably also via a wireless network adapter, and becomes a network device to which the PC can connect. Here's some information I found. Either way, you need a wireless router.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
7- Gold

Jump to solution

Hi Billtaken,

The SSID refers to your wireless router. Your laptop is not a wireless access point so it does not have an SSID. However, you can look up the SSID of your router in Windows under wireless connections.

0 Kudos
billtaken
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hello Osprey,

Thank you for the information.

My issue is fairly basic.  My desktop Dell 580 has a Atheros wireless 1525 WLAN minicard.  IMy 580 is connected to the internet via a Motorola cable modem.

The 1525 is "not connected" per the Network Connection screen.  When I connected it, it blew out my Broadband. 

What I am trying to do is get a wireless connection to my Samsung Smart TV. 

I don't know if the 1525 is appropriate for this or if I should buy a wireless router and connect it directly to the Motorola or?

Thank you

Bill Taken

0 Kudos
7- Gold

Jump to solution

Bill,

Ok, so let's tackle the network connection part, laptop-to-router, first. Does your Motorola cable modem have integrated wireless? If you're not sure, just give me the model number and I can check.

0 Kudos
billtaken
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Osprey

I don't think so - it is a SB5101U

Bill

0 Kudos
7- Gold

Jump to solution

Bill, you're correct. So you need to buy a wireless router. They're not expensive and most are very easy to set up. My suggestion is to buy a wireless router that supports wireless B/G/N.

0 Kudos
billtaken
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Osprey,

I will be reviewing some wireless modems.

So the Atheros wireless 1525 WLAN minicard in my 580 desktop is not useful for this function?  Just a computer to computer connection or just not powerful enough to handle the job?

Thanks again for your help!

Bill

0 Kudos
7- Gold

Jump to solution

The WLAN minicard is a wireless network card. It connects your computer to a network and then to other devices on the network.

I'm not entirely sure how you would make the connection to the TV. It must connect to the network, probably also via a wireless network adapter, and becomes a network device to which the PC can connect. Here's some information I found. Either way, you need a wireless router.

0 Kudos