kisianik
3 Cadmium

Re: So close to finishing my Inspiron 570 build, but need Graphics Card help...

Since the air usually goes up in the case try installing 92mm rear case fan as exhaust and see the results - it is very easy switching sides for fan, plenty of room. If it is not going to work for you - you will just switch back. That was a quick reply.

Inspiron 570 remastered in Cooler Master HAF 912 case

6 intake and exhaust 120 mm FANS <> Phenom II x4 965 BE OC to 4.0GHz <> Cooler Master Hyper 612 <> MSI 660 2GB OC <> 180 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda 64 MB Cache HDD for Games as extension of SSD, 500 GB WD Caviar Blue HDD as data and 160 GB WD as backup (through PCI SATA card) <> 8 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 <>Hitachi GH70N DVD <> Corsair GS 600 PSU <> Battlefield 3 60 FPS on ULTRA

0 Kudos
OCMusicJunkie
3 Argentium

I have the system humming along now- no real heat issues and strong benchmark numbers across the board..... except I still feel like the 2D graphics and CD speed should be better. Is there a card (can't believe I'm considering this again) slightly higher level than the Asus 6670 Radeon that will give me the same level of 3D graphic performance with a significant bump in the 2D arena?

Also, I replaced the factory DVD+RW drive with an Asus DVD+RW DL drive, both for increased storage ability and to hopefully speed the obvious lag in reading discs. Well, it had the opposite effect and seems to only be half as fast at reading as the factory drive. Is there such a thing as just a CD-ROM drive these days that reads at high speeds- no burning or DVD reading to slow down the regular CD function?

Below is my benchmark for the entire system- is there any obvious bottleneck I'm missing?

First i570 Overclocker
Overclockers.com Benchmarking Team Member
FX-8350 @ 4.7ghz  / Phenom X4 @ 4.3ghz
i570 #2 project In progress 

0 Kudos
kisianik
3 Cadmium

2D performance is quite difficult thing to solve, just did search and can not find easy straight answer, look here for now for some answers, it seems to be that Win7 is not that great for 2D performance (vs XP), and I saw many people complaining about 2D performance with professional graphic cards, I am not sure if we, with limited $$ and compact desktops can do any real change in 2D.

Edit. Just found AutoCad graphic card reference guide, it might be some help since it is centered around 2D performance, worth to take a look.

6 intake and exhaust 120 mm FANS <> Phenom II x4 965 BE OC to 4.0GHz <> Cooler Master Hyper 612 <> MSI 660 2GB OC <> 180 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda 64 MB Cache HDD for Games as extension of SSD, 500 GB WD Caviar Blue HDD as data and 160 GB WD as backup (through PCI SATA card) <> 8 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 <>Hitachi GH70N DVD <> Corsair GS 600 PSU <> Battlefield 3 60 FPS on ULTRA

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

AMD FireProV5900 Professional Graphics

The AMD FireProV5900 professional graphics

Is a $400 to $500 card.

AMD 100-505648 FirePro V5900 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Wo...

•  FirePro V5900
  •  2GB GDDR5
  •  PCI Express 2.1 x16
  • Chipset Manufacturer: AMD
  • Stream Processors: 512 Stream Processing Units
  • DirectX: DirectX 11
  • OpenGL: OpenGL 4.1
  • Model #: 100-505648
  • Item #: N82E16814195106

GPU

• Stream Processors: 512
  • Memory Interface: 256-bit

Memory

• Size/Type: 2GB GDDR5
  • Bandwidth (GB/s): 64.0

Display Outputs

• DisplayPort: 2 Standard
  • Dual-link DVI: 1
  • Max Resolution: 2560x1600 @ 60Hz

API/Feature/OS Support

• DirectX®: 11.0
  • OpenGL®: 4.1
  • Shader Model: 5.0
  • AMD Eyefinity Technology Support: Yes
  • AMD CrossFire™ Pro Support: Yes4
  • Stream Computing: Yes (OpenCL™ 1.1)3
  • OS Support: Microsoft® Windows® 7, Windows® XP, Windows Vista®, Linux® (32-bit or 64-bit)2

Thermal/Power/Form Factor

• Max Power: <75 W
  • Slots: 1
  • Form Factor: Full Height / Full Length
  • Bus Interface: PCI Express® 2.1 x16

Additional Details

System Requirements

• 512MB of system memory
  • CD-ROM drive (or internet access) for software installation
  • Windows® 7 / XP / Windows Vista® or Linux® (32-bit or 64-bit)2
  • Available PCI Express® x16 slot

Retail Package Contents

• AMD FirePro™ V5900 professional graphics card
  • Installation CD with drivers and documentation
  • Quick Start Reference Guide
  • 1x DisplayPort to Single-link active DVI adapter
  • 1x AMD CrossFire™ Pro connection cable

ISV Certifications

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
kisianik
3 Cadmium

Speedstep you offering poor guy to jump from sub $100 to $400-500 card?! This is professional card territory, OC was wondering is it possible to achieve higher 2D performance with budget card, or something like this, or/and tweak something in his system.

0 Kudos
OCMusicJunkie
3 Argentium

Ack! Yeah, I certainly am not looking to step up beyond the $150 range or so. For $400-$500 I'd simply buy a faster system or more likely, buy the parts needed for a scratch-build project.

I think the numbers look good for 3D, and the 2D seem to be more a function of W7 than of anything I'll be able to afford to fix via hardware. At this point I suppose the last thing to really do for me to see an appreciable difference is install the SSD for the OS to run from, and perhaps switch over to PC3-12600 (1600mhz) DDR3 RAM from the factory speed 1333mhz DDR3 RAM that I've maxed at 8GB. Not sure if that little bit of speed will be noticed, but it's nearing the end of the line for things I can deem practical here. That'd set me back about $150-$175 to make both the above improvements... at that point I could call it a day and move onto a new project. I wanted to try breaking the 2000 barrier for overall benchmark score and have something faster than my brother's HP Pavilion Intel i7 that he spent WAY too much money on and is convinced needs not a single upgrade- even to fill the vacant RAM slots emoticon.Huh?.title He's in the high 1900's running the same parameters I use for the test. It sounds silly, but it's an extra bit of fun beyond just the fact I can do my essentials on the system now without any lag whatsoever.

First i570 Overclocker

0 Kudos
ali69734
2 Bronze

Hi all, just been reading this topic and thought i would chuck in a few thoughts.

Are there really that many people who have problems keeping their systems cool? My 570 runs a 435 triple core (ok a lower power'ish' CPU), 8GB ram and an XFX Radeon HD6750 1GB GDDR5. Temps for the CPU at idle are between 20 and 25 degrees celcius, up to 40 degrees under stress (rare). Graphics card usually idles around the 30's and hard drives (one is a 10k) late 20's. Standard rear fan but an upgraded CPU cooler (see pics below). Something to steer clear of with these compact cases are PSU's with bottom mounted fans - too much conflict in airflow between that, CPU fan and exhaust fan. I've got an Antec Neo 550 modular (not pictured) which has one rear 80mm fan and the cooling is more than adequate - no need for front mounted fans or noisy PCI exhaust fans.

It would also be worth installing software such as 'Speedfan' to manually control your fan speeds and also closely monitor temperatures.

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad107/ali69734/Image164.jpg

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad107/ali69734/Image165.jpg

0 Kudos
kisianik
3 Cadmium

I guess, I am in a little disadvantage here due to location in Southern California (hot climate) and 125W TDP CPU (Phenom II X4 965 BE), all current Inspiron 570 CPUs do not exceed 95W TDP - much easier to cool down.

Thanks to you Ali, I choose my current setup as is now, I wish I got modular PSU, but I was on hurry, oh well...

This is the reason I choose MSI Cyclone card (NVIDIA to avoid AMD driver issues) - for huge fan and very active cooling architecture. Yes, I stuck 80mm X2 intake fans in the front (from old parts bin) just in case, the only advantage of them is fast drop in temperatures after stress test (maybe they are keeping T from climbing fast up as well). Just for comparison I run Crysis 2 and compared with OCCT stress test - about the same load, same temperatures. Under heavy load I feel hot air coming out from exhaust fan and cool air from Video Card, so I still need may be more powerful fan or something else to help with temperatures upstairs. Other than this I am done here, placing SSD is to much I think, 128GB still high $$, smaller is no good.

Edit. I tried SpeedFan - no good, can not control fans in 570, I guess only hardware control is good here - fan controllers.

0 Kudos
samyG
1 Copper

kisianik, can you post more pictures of your case? Have you been able to jerry-rig more fans onto the case? I am going to install an Phenom II X4 965 soon with a Hyper TX3 heatsink. Also, so you have the rear fan blowing air in or out of the case? I currently have a SilenX 92mm fan in the rear blowing air in since there is no front case fan option. What I am think of doing is using one of the drive bays as a way to install an intake fan. What do you think?

Also, I have a 550w Antec modular PSU that I installed as well as an EVGA GTX 460v2 SC graphic card, which is why I want to upgrade the CPU from the Athlon II X4 630 to the Phenom II X4 965.

0 Kudos
OCMusicJunkie
3 Argentium

Samy,

I don't know what your expectations are, but there shouldn't be a HUGE difference in the X4 965 compared to the X4 630 if you look at benchmarks at passmark (Phenom ~4200, Athlon ~3200). Yes a 30% increase in your processor speed might help your benchmark, but honestly you'd probably speed the actual user experience up more by simply buying a 128gb SSD to throw your OS and applications onto. I say all of this because I have an Athlon II X3 455 (slightly slower than yours) and felt a bit wasteful in upgrading it. It is supposedly our MOBO that bottlenecks a processor from exceeding where the Phenom X4 940-965 range chips run too.

I can say that in terms of efficency, I screwed around enough to find the perfect fan application for our case, provided you are using a 95w side CPU cooler. It might change with the giant suckers sitting there- but I have an indoor/outdoor temp display affixed to the outside pannel and the sensor under the two 5.25" bays (same height as CPU but no airflow past to cool). The inside of my case runs approximately 0.8 to 1.6 degrees Fahrenheit above the outside case temp, regardless of what the CPU is doing. I have stress-tested it up to the 50-55c core temp range for an hour (I can't get it any hotter) an the case was still 1.6F warmer inside than out. So, I might not be able to help with the actual component coolng, but I can give you my layout for airflow that was tested and adjusted over and over one weekend:

Starting with the front of the case, move the CD/DVD drive into the lower slot. Next, buy one of these fan intakes for the empty top bay. Note that you will need to either accept the fact it will move around a bit, or do what I did and place clear silicone glue around the entire bottom and adhere it perfectly atop of the CD drive, then give it 24 hours for the glue to cure beforre replacing the front plastic cover/bezel. They just don't make the ideal 5.25" intake that is intended to be used in totally blank bays- so the mounting brackets are garbage. 

*note while front plastic of case is removed, you can see the vast amount of space for air to enter the gap under the front of the bezel and flow into the case through the mesh metal front usually hidden*

Next thing is to get your silicone glue back out, along with a nice, quiet 80mm square fan that can run on a molex power source. This is the perfect option from my point of view.  Take and use a good amount of the glue to secure the fan to the center of the case floor, filling the entire void between the two. Use electrical tape to keep presure on it while setting for 24 hours, left upright with the side off. It should be pretty darn secure now. Oh yes, obviously, make sure it's flowing INTO the case. That was a sloppy mistake to make the first time around. 

Now you have all the air you could ever need coming from the front- if the tower sits on a desk or raised stand on the floor, you can stick your hand around the front of the case and FEEL air being pulled in from all angles. Last parts are pretty basic:

Do your own thing with a CPU cooler. I won't even start suggesting what to use, I think it's like arguing car brands sometimes. But, take your pick and install it with some nice Artic Silver thermal paste. 

You do NOT want to use a PCI exhaust. too much air is going to go straight under the video card and never make it to the CPU/exhaust (already entering low, + cold air naturally flows lower in the case). Instead replace the PCI slots not occupied by your video card with these - this seems trival but is not. It doesn't move air, but it prevents stagnant air from being trapped under the GPU cooler's fan. 

Finally, pick a nice single-speed 92mm fan with a molex 4pin power plug and the standard 3-pin used together to keep the system happy in knowing there is a case fan. I personally love the CFM/dB/$ ratio of the MassCool. 45 CFM airflow, 28dB, <$10. Don't worry, the LED doesn't get bright enough to notice. The other option I used for a few days but found to be WAY too annoying was the thermally controlled Antec. This was supposed to have a max volume of 33dB at full speed, but I swear it was continuously louder than my Masscool. It was still better than all other case fans tried so far though. Just make sure it's blowing out, not drawing air in- also, a spot of that silicone seal at each of the four corners will prevent any vibration noise with the case. 

So yeah, as I type this it's now 75.6 outside the case and the temp sensor inside is showing me 76.2. The whole rig is still quiet enough to keep ON the desk if you desire as well. 

Wow I had some time on my hands. I think that needs to be turned into a sticky for anyone unsure about optimal case cooling. emoticon.Indifferent.title

First i570 Overclocker

Tags (3)
0 Kudos