7- Thorium

Re: So close to finishing my Inspiron 570 build, but need Graphics Card help...

KISIANIK

I suggest reading before flaming.  I know there are better cards.  emoticon.Angry.title

OP said "I've since realized I have the budget to buy a better card and return this one- any card under $100"

Recommendation was based on those parameters.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
kisianik
3 Cadmium

@SpeedStep: I guess I did not said correct this phrase "no offense, SpeedStep recommended Asus 6670, it is a good card for the ORIGINAL DELL PSU OF ONLY 300 watt" - OP mentioned that he has 500 watt PSU, which can handle more than 6670, that is why I used "no offense" phrase. I did not mean to offend you SpeedStep, not at all, my apologies.:emotion-6:

Now coming back to first phrase in you post SpeedStep - "No problem pushing air in the front and pulling out the back." What you meant by this. It is very easy to see the intake fans and exhaust fans solution, I was planning to do this from a few weeks ago, just happened that I had time and courage today, so I did it and got frustrated with results.

Dell Inspiron 570 is very restricted budget model, BIOS is not tweakable, FANS cannot be controlled by software, no place to attach good intake fan (also the front mesh panel is uneven surface, which creates additional problems with fan's bolting), so all of us here are trying to find best solution in current situation. I had to try 70mm fans since they are the largest ones, which can be fitted there relatively easy, and I did not expected any miracle, but was hoping it would make some noticeable difference.... peace.

Inspiron 570 remastered in Cooler Master HAF 912 case

6 intake and exhaust 120 mm FANS <> Phenom II x4 965 BE OC to 4.0GHz <> Cooler Master Hyper 612 <> MSI 660 2GB OC <> 180 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda 64 MB Cache HDD for Games as extension of SSD, 500 GB WD Caviar Blue HDD as data and 160 GB WD as backup (through PCI SATA card) <> 8 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 <>Hitachi GH70N DVD <> Corsair GS 600 PSU <> Battlefield 3 60 FPS on ULTRA

0 Kudos
OCMusicJunkie
3 Argentium

I really wouldn't deemphesize the importance and effect fans can play. An upgraded case fan and PCI exhaust gave me at least 10c cooler ambient air temps inside the case. I literally have one of those wireless indoor/outdoor temperature units with the transmitter for "outdoors" glued with silicone to the side pannel that slides off. When I had nothing but Dell's cooling, I was +12F to +20F above the temperature of the air on the exterior of the case, where the display unit magnetically mounts. I have that down to a MAX of +10 degrees fernenheit difference at full load for an hour, with it being +6 most of the time. When you reach the point that you're THAT close to pulling outside air in that is no cooler than the case's inner atmosphere, you're right that fans have reached their limits.

Now, my video card is offically dead. That's just fine since it was going anyway, but I NEED to know that the integrated graphics aren't still taking over for 2D situations first, because the test results imply they were. Unless someone wants to give me a warning to shy away, I'm pretty set on this HD6670 based on price, value and performance. I don't need anything crazy- I don't game= I just do some light video editing and lots of image and publishing functions. I do worry about the double 18A situation with the PSU I added. Did I make a mistake that I should fix there?

I agree that the 570 would be horrible for a serious gamer/overclocker who wanted a serious rig. For someone like me, I can say for <$600 total investment including initial purchase, I have a system that clocks faster than anything my father could buy when attempting to find a new famly room system for their home. It's also a good place for someone to cut their teeth, as they WON'T be tempted to be stupid and go nuts within the BIOS. I already have my parent's two-year old HP that I brought home to use as a real bottom=up build. I mostly am using it because the case is nice and the PSU was replaced with a 600w unit after it failed three months ago. The entire system from motherboard to hard drives to OS are all going to be from scatch. I'll likely go with an AMD X6 and hybrid storage drives on that one= if not a 50/50 split with one 250GB SSD and one 1TB traditional storage drive.

Last thought- my current rear case fan is making my ears bleed. Does this fan seem like it should move a fair amount around or is it going to be too weak for a situation like this one?

Thanks all!

First i570 Overclocker
Overclockers.com Benchmarking Team Member
FX-8350 @ 4.7ghz  / Phenom X4 @ 4.3ghz
i570 #2 project In progress 

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

There are 3X fan trays that can be mounted in the front via the 5.25 inch bays.  There are also fans that can vent out empty slots to the back.  

5.25" 3-Fan Drive Bay Hard Drive Cooler with Black Bezel StarTech 5.25" 3-Fan Drive Bay Hard Drive Cooler with Black Bezel
SKU: 128249
Vantec Spectrum UV LED Fan Card with Fan Control Evercool Vantec Spectrum UV LED Fan Card with Fan Control
SKU: 396382

Cyclone Blower Slot Mounted Cooling Fan Antec Cyclone Blower Slot Mounted Cooling Fan
SKU: 311647

PCI Slot Fan Blue LED Thermaltake PCI Slot Fan Blue LED
SKU: 672790

If cooling is really a problem you can also get a 25 inch BOX FAN and open the cover and blow a hurricane thru the open side of the case.Holmes Box Fan.Opens in a new window

here

0 Kudos
kisianik
3 Cadmium

First about my little request " I literally have one of those wireless indoor/outdoor temperature units with the transmitter for "outdoors"" - can you just give me a name/model approximately of this unit, I have no clue where to start looking - all what I got so far was cooking gadgets, lol.

O.K. No more pushing for stronger/pricier Video card. Asus 6670, as recommended by SpeedStep is a bit superior to the rest of the 6670 cards, first of all due to little factory overclock, second due to better cooling (I don't know what is the reference they used, but the difference is impressive). Before I upgraded to 550 TI, I was considering this Asus as well due to the recommendations for gaming (I heard you, you are not a gamer, however games require more graphic power) and cooling. It is about 20 USD pricier compare to your choice (Amazon), however it is DDR5 vs DDR3 for your choice. The other thing to consider is cooling, you already have most likely fried old card, and you know that Inside inspiron is not Alaska, but could be Death Valley - something to think about.

"I do worry about the double 18A situation with the PSU I added. Did I make a mistake that I should fix there?" If you don't need stronger Video Card, you don't have to care about PSU, unless you can return it and place original back - it will handle Asus 6670 just fine, don't know about HIS 6670. However, PSU overkill is better than keep all components working at their edge.

"Last thought- my current rear case fan is making my ears bleed" This is kinda tricky situation. I reviewed your choice on newegg, all say it is quiet, however a lot say it is not that strong. I wish I could hear Fan decibels prior to buying them - I need stronger fans as well (some are noisy, ugh as well), but I am afraid of getting something very loud. I am not sure if I can advice here. Just numbers. I had exhaust fan (which I placed as pull fan on CPU) which run between 2500-2700 RPM at all times and I was thinking it is not strong enough, so I placed a bit faster one (from old Dell parts) as exhaust, but it will have to be changed due to clicking noise (not that bad yet). Nocturia fan max RPM is about 1600, so go figure out. Nocturia is praising itself as ultra quiet fan, well you need performance as well.......

6 intake and exhaust 120 mm FANS <> Phenom II x4 965 BE OC to 4.0GHz <> Cooler Master Hyper 612 <> MSI 660 2GB OC <> 180 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda 64 MB Cache HDD for Games as extension of SSD, 500 GB WD Caviar Blue HDD as data and 160 GB WD as backup (through PCI SATA card) <> 8 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 <>Hitachi GH70N DVD <> Corsair GS 600 PSU <> Battlefield 3 60 FPS on ULTRA

0 Kudos
kisianik
3 Cadmium

SpeedStep, your offer is kinda too late, done it already with my OLD XPS Gen 3 circa 2004, still working well. 5.25 bay coolers will blow air directly into PSU, also it is most likely 3x40mm fans, what can they do? Nothing. I am trying to see how get air from the front panel. Do you know about any type of brackets for 120 or 140mm fans to be mounted standing, in the middle of the case? There is an unused place under HDD with bottom and mobo sides available for bolting. This is the only way to move tons of air inside.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Here is the same Card at Amazon.

ASUS EAH6670/DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 6670 GDDR5 1 GB Video Card

Logisys 5.25" Full Color Thermal / Clock Control - Black (FP708BK) Logisys 5.25" Full Color Thermal / Clock Control - Black (FP708BK)

This 5.25" Full Color Thermal / Clock Control Panel

5.25" full color LCD display for thermal control and clock.

Evercool 5.25" Cross Flow System Fan - Revision 2 - (PCAC2) Evercool 5.25" Cross Flow System Fan - Revision 2 - (PCAC2)

First unique turbine lateral cross-flow fan design

100 CFM which allows the blower to dispense large volume of heat.

Fits any 5.25" external drive bay.

Dual Fan Ultra Thin HD Cooler (3.5 bay) Dual Fan Ultra Thin HD Cooler (3.5 bay)

The Dual Fan Ultra Thin HD Cooler mounts under your  HD.

Features 2 fans .

The main idea is that heat flows up and out.

here

0 Kudos
OCMusicJunkie
3 Argentium

You've been really helpful- I'll answer your question about the thermometer first. The model I have is this one, but there are a hundred versions depending on how much information you want. You could get one that records humidity, high/low over a period of time, ect- personally I wouldn't even spend the $13 for wireless if you are using it for the computer. I just had mine on the patio, then moved it in for this project when it seemed like a logical bit of info to have. I personally would look here - it's about half the price, and you could easily thread the thin lead wire through some opening in the case. That means you are left with a little tiny sensor to glue into place somewhere, not a giant one like I have. 

I really don't know how I fried the card that I just put in there less than a week ago- the core temps never exceeded low 50's even during stress testing. I did overclock it by a little bit, attempting to gain back the performance I had vanish randomly, but it was verified by CCC as being stable. Oh well... I have been reading though, and it seems as if disabling the integrated graphics from overtaking the PCI-express card can be a real issue for some people with the 570's. It sounds from some sites as though it's essentially removing the entire driver and any trace of software from the HD4200 that comes with the computer. Then, making sure to watch and not automatically update things and let it reinstall the driver again. Maybe this was a rare thing to read about, but it seems to be what happened with my card. This mysterious frying of the GPU is why I asked about the unusual power configuration my PSU offers for PCI-e. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss a basic wiring issue different from what the original PSU was configured to do. If the new PSU is just overkill in the sense of being more power (which is harmless and unused) than I need, that's fine with me. I still might add other components at some point in the future, and like you said, I don't want to be running on the verge of exceeding the output ceiling.

I knew I'd end up biting the bullet and ordering the Asus 6670. It's the most popular graphics card on Amazon and right now has a mail-in rebate that knocks the final price down to $79.99- I might as well stop with the nickel-and-dime attitude I've taken thus far and know I'm done swapping out one card after another.

In terms of the fan, I figure I'm never going to find a perfect compromise of airflow and sound. The Noctua 92m puts out 37.84 CFM at only 17 dB- that is MUCH better than the stupid 29-40 dB that my Vantec Thermoflow ranges between, but the Vantac moves from 34.8 to 58.5 CFM at the same time. I am tempted to give up on the "quiet" fan idea and just install a nice reliable model like the Antec Pro DBB 92mm (single speed version) for the case and move the computer onto the floor and off of my desk. 42.3 CFM at 33dB is fairly respectable, it's cheap and reliable, and moving the whole tower away from my direct working space would let me install whatever it takes down the road (Vantac Tornado?).

I took some photos of the open case and how I have things laid out right now; going to lunch and I'll post those.

First i570 Overclocker

0 Kudos
kisianik
3 Cadmium

@SpeedStep. Evercool had so many negative comments regarding poor airflow that it is not even considered, plus Dell front panel is very thick, so it is not going to be an easy job. Second, when I asked about space under HDD, I meant the space between HDD and non-removable side panel (motherboard is attached to this panel) - this is the only place where 120mm fan can fit, I tried to find any brackets available to be bolted by the side(or 2 sides, but not all 4 sides) only, and there is none. In your nice picture of airflow fan location would be at the tip of the first intake red arrow. I am not sure why you pictured HDD cooler?

@OC Thanks for the hint - you second link is working, first is not, but it is enough, I got the idea. "This mysterious frying of the GPU is why I asked about the unusual power configuration my PSU offers for PCI-e" - rales on PSU are applicable when you are planning to attach something power hungry to your PSU (directly, by cable), Video Card is the most power consuming device in the PC. Since you most likely will have one or the other 6670 - it will use PCI express slot power (up to 75 watt) and would not be connected to PSU directly, so no worries here (I hope).

How loud is Vantec, really? Is it whining sound or just like fan noise? Look at productivity/performance vs noise. I got used to sound of fan in front of my XPS, if this Vantec is about the same I will buy one (my third fan is not that fast). And don't forget - Noctua NF-B9 Fan is about $21.99 at Newegg, that is expensive for a regular fan! Vontec Tornado? Only with fan controller - but it is different territory, overclocker's one - basically it is too much for Inspiron 570, I might consider place 3 -fan controller maybe, but nothing digital nor fancy.

0 Kudos
OCMusicJunkie
3 Argentium

How loud is Vantec, really? Is it whining sound or just like fan noise? Look at productivity/performance vs noise. I got used to sound of fan in front of my XPS, if this Vantec is about the same I will buy one (my third fan is not that fast). And don't forget - Noctua NF-B9 Fan is about $21.99 at Newegg, that is expensive for a regular fan! Vontec Tornado? Only with fan controller - but it is different territory, overclocker's one - basically it is too much for Inspiron 570, I might consider place 3 -fan controller maybe, but nothing digital nor fancy.

I've been checking the cooling numbers on 1 hour OCCT tests the last couple of days, and I can safely say that right now, prior to installing the new video card later this morning, I top out at 58c and level off around 55c for most of the test. I looked at the Noctua and it's rated at producing higher airflow in CFM than the current fan I'm being driven crazy by the noise (not sound level as much as awful whine tone)- so I'm giving that one a whirl today too. Here is my question: With the exhaust fan installed two PCI slots below the top PCI-e slot and the two empty PCI slots using vented covers, should I have the 92mm rear case fan directed to move cool air in, or push hot air out? It's currently an intake setup, as I figured blowing air right onto the CPU heatsink/fan would be ideal, but I wonder if it wouldn't be more efficient to direct it as an exhaust. I have the side case vents, the front extra CD bay (took off plastic so air can move through the grill), and the PCI vents- maybe those places will be able to provide airflow for two exhaust fans (PCI and 92mm rear mount)?

I've also considered using a dremel, removing a section from the removeable side pannel, then install a tasteful looking 80mm intake fan right in the side of the case with a grill over it.This is what I was looking at.

With the video card issue resolved (hopefully), I still am going to add a 128gb SSD for the OS and a couple of applications that are often used plus a BD-R drive to burn my photography and video work onto discs for storage instead of eating my entire hard disk. With all of that, I am somewhat sure I'll need a bit more cooling. My workspace never has the ambient room temperature above 23.5c, so any air from the outside will help greatly.

I'll update after the new installs today and such. I'm also working on a second project now- I took my brother's totally stock HP A1250N that I want to upgrade and install a video capture card into, along with 2TB of disc storage to opperate as a more functional DVR for my wireless home security setup. The plan is to mount it in the attic where the current DVD sits, but then figure a way to relay the display and use the system from directly below it in the office space I compute at now. emoticon.BigSmile.title

First i570 Overclocker

0 Kudos