Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 6th, 2004 03:00

Sony Digital Camcorder isn't detected

I have had this problem for almost a year now, and I've spent so much money trying to get it fixed by everybody except possibly the Dell experts.  This is my problem:

I have installed on my computer an IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controller (aka FireWire).  I have both ends of the cable connected, and the video camera is turned on.  However, I can't capture video.  My computer (Dimension 4600) doesn't detect the camera when I have it connected properly, and Sony isn't listed on the list of manufacturers when I try to install hardware under the imaging device tab.  What am I supposed to do?!

HELP!

October 7th, 2004 00:00

The first thing you could do is try a larger font, so people can read the problem your having.
Remember, us old folk, cant see the words anymore...

Next, tell us the brand  & model # of the camera, the operating system your using and the program your using to try and capture video.
Is the camera listed in Device Manager, under "Imaging devices"?

Laughter is the best medicine...

10 Posts

October 7th, 2004 02:00

Haha, sorry for the font size (it's a weird preference of mine).  Thanks so much for your help!

I have a Sony DCR-TRV11 digital camcorder and I am using ULEAD Video Studio 6.0  SE DVD(when I open the program, it says "Either no video capture driver is installed on this system, or not device is connected") from ADS Technologies (Pyro 1394 DV).  I have the camcorder on VCR and everything.

Thanks again.

432 Posts

October 7th, 2004 13:00

Shut down the computer, make sure the camera is unpluged.

Boot up, open "Device Manger", make sure you have a listing for IEE1394 Bus Host Controler"
Click the "+" sign. it should read OHCI Compliant IEE 1394 Host Controler.

Check to see if you have any Yellow "!" marks
Check to see if you have any "UNKNOWN DEVICES" listed anyplace.

close Device manager,

Plug in firewire cable to compter, then camera. Put the camera in "PLAY/PAUSE MODE"

Goto START - ACESSORIES - Windows Movie Maker.

Select Capture from Video Device...At this point you should see a listing for video device.
Select and click next, follow directions...

Post back with results...

Dimension 4500 - Pentium 4 - 2.0 GHz
WINDOWS XP (Home Edition) SP-2 (PLUS!)
512 MB DDR SDRAM
80 GB HD 7200
64 MB GEFORCE4 Video card with TV out
SoundBlaster Live 1024 Voices Sound Card
16X DVD-ROM (LITEON LTD 163)
KHypermedia DVD+RW 8X4X8 (Nero 6.3 Ultra)
100 MB Internal Zip Drive
IEEE 1394 Firewire Card
JVC GR-D90 DV Camcorder
Sandisk 6 in 1 card reader
Sandisk Cruzer Mini (256 MB)
Belkin 2.0 USB Hub
HP Deskjet 970 Cxi
HP Photosmart 100

10 Posts

October 8th, 2004 21:00

There aren't any yellow !'s (there used to be one next to it several months ago, but not now) or any unknown devices listed in the device manager.  I tried the process you explained, but all I got was "A video capture device was not detected.  Verify that a device is turned on and connected properly, and then try again."  Any other ideas?  Thanks so much for your help.  :o)

432 Posts

October 8th, 2004 22:00

Is the camera lised in Device Manager???? Under "Image Devices"

2 Posts

March 14th, 2005 05:00

I have same problem with Sony DCR-TRV19 on my new Dimension 4700. The device does not show up under any device manager setting and I've installed the USB driver from Sony. The software that came with the system (Sonic) won't recognize the connected (and powered) camcorder, either.

Any help is appreciated!

No Events found!