Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 14th, 2015 11:00

Sound Confusion on Dell XPS X8700

Funny how simple things can drive a seasoned IT pro insane...but I purchases a new Dell XPS x8700 and the sound has suddenly stopped working. I think it may have been about the time I installed a firewire card (for legacy video input) but doubting that that is the cause.

Basically, it shows sound monitor. The monitor DOES have an audio out that receives it from HDMI. I use HDMI from the monitor to the video card on the XPS. I turned off audio for the HDMI and it still doesn't allow the other sources to enable.

The speakers are plugged in but the system doesn't detect them. It also shows a disabled Digital Audio (HDMI)

I am just not sure what is going on here...if I disable the ASUS VS229 it then won't let enable any other sound device...uninstalling/reinstalling the devices doesn't seem to help.

Mind you, this DOES work by using the audio jack out on the monitor but if I ever wanted to upgrade to 7.1 surround or perhaps input audio, I wonder if I'll have issues.

Any suggestions?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 17th, 2015 12:00

The Asus VS229 maxes out to 1920x1980 on all its ports. So circumvent the issue by connecting the monitor via a DVI cable. Assuming the XPS 8700 discrete video card has DVI out.

4 Posts

February 17th, 2015 12:00

I've tried the DVI connection...still can't enable the onboard sound...that is, it doesn't detect the speaker plugged into the jack...

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 17th, 2015 20:00

So that would rule out the monitor HDMI audio as the culprit. Reinstall all of the Chipset drivers one at a time, then the audio driver. Rebooting after each one.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 18th, 2015 06:00

Same result when you plug headphones into the rear green audio out jack?

4 Posts

February 18th, 2015 06:00

Did that...still shows speaker NOT PLUGGED IN...:(

4 Posts

February 19th, 2015 19:00

It flat out doesn't recoginize anything plugged into any audio port coming out of the PC. Mind you this worked up until around the 11th or 12th...sadly, System Restore was not enabled...I've done just about everything I know of to fix this...I so do not want to rebuild or at worse exchange this PC but I may have to rebuild... :(

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 20th, 2015 06:00

Just sent you a private message.

No Events found!