Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 27th, 2010 21:00

Sound and volume problems

About a month ago I started having problems with my Dell Dimension 3000 sounds and volume. I've run every diagnostic I can find with no results.

Here's the deal: Sound card is good, speakers are good, everything is properly connected.

1. Music CD's have sound, but it is garbled, with music being louder than vocals. Kind of a burbling, underwater sound.

2. Sound from various websites are either as stated above, or have barely audible sound, and sound is not in sync with videos.

3. Sounds in AOL are barely audible.

When I go to "sounds" and click on Windows sounds, some of them work at proper volume and others don't work at all. AOL sounds are barely audible, or have no sound at all.

Does this sound like something that might be resolved by uninstalling then reinstalling the Dell audio software, or by reinstalling Windows XP software?

I've put in way too many hours trying to fix this, so any help will be appreciated.

Danosaur46

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 28th, 2010 03:00

My recommendation for a "first step" would be to reinstall the Dell sound drivers.  If it happens you have non-Dell sound drivers that could be a problem.  We find, on models in this era that non-Dell drivers either do not work or do not work correctly.   HERE is the latest Dell driver.  Click on the Blue Download button and download direct, DO NOT use the Dell download manager.

3 Posts

November 28th, 2010 13:00

Thanks Fireberd.

That was one of the options I'd already tried. I did it again, as you suggested, but still have the same problems.

If the problem is with SoundMax, this doesn't solve it.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Danosaur46

3 Posts

November 29th, 2010 21:00

I have no idea why, but suddenly all of my sound returned today. The only thing I did was remove a couple of websites from my "favorite" list. Bam! Sound returned.

Danosaur.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 30th, 2010 03:00

Whatever works, but I suspect that was not the actual problem.  

No Events found!