Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 2nd, 2009 07:00

Sound crackling on Dell Dimension 9200

Hi guys, about a month ago I started getting constant sound crackling when playing music or games, while playing music if I say, scrolled the mouse wheel up and down the music would even slow down to the point it sounded like it was being played in slow mo. Games on top of this were extremely laggy. I disabled my onboard sound and installed a PCI sound card, still the same problem. I used driver cleaner etc and uninstalled and reinstalled many different graphics card drivers but to no avail. I recently tried an old PCI-Express graphics card and the sound seemed to be fixed for a few days but then it came back. I've reformatted the PC a couple of times and installed Windows 7 also. Has anyone got any idea what the problem may be? It obviously wasn't my graphics card or onboard sound considering I tried different sound and graphics cards. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Tom

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 3rd, 2009 06:00

Considering what you say you have done, the only thing left is the motherboard.

2 Posts

October 26th, 2009 17:00

It's not a hardware problem.  It's a driver problem.  Works fine in WIndows XP and Vista.  I also have a Dimension 9200 (XPS 410) and have been plagued by this issue since installing Win7 x64 RTM a few months ago.  I tried everything I could think of, and scoured the web for solutions to no avail.  Tried several drivers, and also tried disabling various combinations of advanced audio features per "solutions" found online.  I was using the default audio driver Windows uses at first.  When I installed the newest Vista x64 driver available on the Dimension 9200 support page ("6.10.0.5511") the problem went away ... for awhile.  A week or so later it came back.

Eventually I searched on the version string for the above-mentioned Vista x64 drivers ("6.10.0.5511") and came across this page:  http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=1965

It looks like Dell uses the same chipset on a large number of systems but doesn't always advertise the full list of systems to which a driver applies.  In the case of the newest version available that's listed on the Ed Bott page above ("6.10.0.5866 "), it only lists Optiplex 740.  It's actually compatible with a wider range that Ed lists, but the Dimension 9200 / XPS 410 isn't even in THAT list.  However, the driver installed without a hitch (it IS indeed for the chip contained in the 9200 / 410), and the audio crackling/popping issue went away (so far permanantly).  I believe this driver also works with the XPS 420.

I find it absolutely appalling that Dell has not released (and appears to have no intention of doing so) a set of Windows 7 drivers for these Dimension & XPS machines, leaving their users (even sophisticated ones) to scrounge around in frustration trying to find a fix.  In fact, Dell only lists a single (!!!!!!) desktop Dimension model (the 2010) as being "compatible" with Windows 7 (see this page: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&cs=2684&docid=360683&l=en&s=pub) .. and only four XPS models.  Even though all of these systems run Windows 7 beautifully (once you manage to find the the right drivers that Dell disguises so well).  Shame on you Dell !!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, the 6.10.0.5866 drivers should solve your problem.  See the Ed Bott link above, or go here: 

5 Posts

October 26th, 2009 22:00

Hi Spec, thanks for your reply. I'd basically given up on finding a fix for this and was pretty certain I was buying a new PC. I tried what you mentioned above but I'm afraid it didn't work. I'm running Vista Home Premium 32bit now. Still have the sound problems after installing and restarting.

Thanks for your help anyway

Tom

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 27th, 2009 05:00

That Dell list, as I have been told, is ONLY the ones that qualify for the Free upgrade if purchased during the free upgrade period.  It is not a complete list of systems that are Windows 7 compatible.  However, some models may never get Windows 7 specific drivers (usually the Vista drivers work and there is no need for Windows 7 drivers).  I have an "older" Dimension E510 that is not listed but it will support Windows 7, 32 bit if I wanted to install that.

Also, with "older" systems, keep in mind that Dell is in the business of selling new computers.  Although they will support some older models they shoot themselves in the foot by supporting "discontinued" models.   I have a recent Acer laptop that came with Vista and there are no Windows 7 drivers (or applications) on the Acer website for this model.  I upgraded the laptop to Win 7 Home Premium (the Vista drivers all worked) and the Acer "e net management" program to manage wireless connections is not Windows 7 compatible and there is no Acer update and I had to uninstall the program.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 29th, 2009 04:00

Update info from another post about the popping and crackling with a SoundBlaster Xfi card.  As it turns out if there is over 3GB of RAM that can happen with the current SoundBlaster Xfi drivers.  There is a Beta driver version on the Creative web site for the Xfi and that seems to have fixed the problem when there is more than 3GB of RAM.

5 Posts

October 29th, 2009 06:00

I'm afraid I only have onboard sound in my Dimension 9200, Sigmatel I think.

November 5th, 2009 01:00

I'm not sure if it'll help you, but i used to have similar problems on my 9200. I updated to some drivers released by microsoft for windows 7 and all my problems ended. They were updated sigmatel drivers . The one I used is dated 2009/04/21 version 6.1.7100.0

Here is the drivers I used http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/23793-latest-sigmatel-idt-drivers/

or just go to this website (NOT A FAKE) and pick the ones you see fit.

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/23793-latest-sigmatel-idt-drivers/

Let me know if this helps.

5 Posts

November 5th, 2009 03:00

Hey madheavy, thanks for the post. I went onto that site but couldn't find the version 6.1.7100.0 to install, and im not sure what one to install from the list.

November 5th, 2009 16:00

Sorry about that.  here is a link to the drivers I used. I put them up on rapidshare. (limited to 10 downloads...sorry)

http://rapidshare.com/files/302954468/sigmatel_drivers_new.zip.html

5 Posts

November 5th, 2009 17:00

Hi, thanks for the help but I'm afraid it just said it wasn't compatible with the version of Windows I'm running (Vista at the moment)

No Events found!