Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 6th, 2015 07:00

Sound from Dell Dimension 9200 by wireless to stereo device

I would like to have the option to send stereo sound from my Dell Dimension 9200 by a wireless method or home network to my stereo in the lounge. I did try a Creative Sound Blaster for iTunes Music Streamer with receiver which uses the 2.4Ghz frequency but it would not work beyond about 4 meters distance I think because of everything else using the 2.4Ghz frequency.

Would a Bluetooth transmitter and receiver be an option or some other method? I don't have a large budget for this but just want something fairly basic that works well. Am I restricted by the age of the desktop as to what I can use?

Any suggestions appreciated.   

120 Posts

October 13th, 2015 00:00

Thank you. I have purchased the new Google Chromecast Audio device. It works well and serves the limited requirements that I have.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 6th, 2015 12:00

Bluetooth uses the same 2.4Ghz and has a shorter distance.

You could use ITUNES Airport Express sound Bridges thru your wall outlets. Stream music to any room in the house. And print from any room in the house, too. All with fast wireless technology. AirPlay takes the music from the iTunes library on your computer or iOS device and sends it wirelessly to any connected stereo or speakers in your home (audio cable sold separately). Play music on one set of speakers — or if you have more than one AirPort Express connected to speakers, play your music from iTunes on all of them at the same time.

That way either optical or Analog audio can be transmitted wirelessly.

AirPlay, Bluetooth, or None of the Above?
AirPlay is Apple's wireless audio feature that lets iPod, iPhone, iPad, and Mac users stream their iTunes libraries. It can simultaneously stream music to multiple speakers, and sends track information to display if that feature is supported on the speaker. It's a feature-rich wireless audio system for any iOS device, but it only works with Apple mobile products. You can't, say, stream music to an AirPlay speaker from your Android tablet.

http://www.apple.com/airport-express/

120 Posts

October 7th, 2015 01:00

Thank you for this but I don't fully understand how this would work to stream any music (internet radio, music files or any sound that is generated from the windows desktop) that are running on my Dell Dimension 9200.

The description seems to relate to Apple devices?

Is this using an additional wireless network or making use of my home broadband wireless network?

Are there any alternative options?

Help appreciated.

1 Message

October 7th, 2015 01:00

Create post:

1. Step 1:Log in to your blog and on the Dashboard toolbar click Posts, then Add New. The Add New Post screen will open.
  2. Step 2:On the Add New Post screen:
  3. See Edit Posts below for more on how to return to publish your post later.
  4. Step 4:To preview your post without publishing it, click Preview. A preview of your post will open in a new window or tab in your Web browser, displaying the look of your current theme. Close the window to return to the Add New Post screen.
  5. Step 5:To save and publish your draft, click Publish . This will make your post available on your blog.
    A "post updated" message at the top of the screen will confirm your save.
  6. Step 6:To view your post:

Edit:

1. Step 1:On the Dashboard toolbar, click Posts. The Posts screen will open.
  2. Step 2:To filter which posts are listed, click All posts, Published posts, or Drafts. You can also filter which posts are listed by selecting from the Date and Category drop-downs, then clicking Filter.
  3. Step 3:In the list of posts, click the post Title or move your mouse over the title and click Edit . The Edit Post screen will open.
  4. Step 4:Make your changes to the post, then click Save Draft or Publish .

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 7th, 2015 05:00

To do this on a WINDOZE you can

start STREAMING, you’ll need some reliable media server software. This will dictate not only what media you can share, but where you can share it. Sling box is one way.  Western Digital NAS drive is another. 

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1140

Pogoplug PC is a fairly straightforward Windows utility that makes your media available on your mobile devices, other PCs, and pretty much anything with a Web browser. Just choose the folders you want to share, and then sign into your account via one of Pogoplug’s free companion apps (available for Android and iOS) or any browser. From there you can open an individual photo, watch a slideshow, stream a video, or listen to music.

Plex, a streaming media solution that PCWorld’s Alex Castle said would make you forget Netflix and Hulu. That’s because it’s more powerful than either Pogoplug PC or PlayOn, with features like automatically downloading metadata for each item in your library, and on-the-fly transcoding: If a particular video or music file isn’t directly compatible with the device you’re viewing it on, Plex will transcode it to a format that is compatible.

120 Posts

October 13th, 2015 00:00

Thank you - I have purchased the new Google Chromecast Audio device which serves my limited requirements.

No Events found!