Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

September 23rd, 2009 15:00

Sound from Motorola Cable Box

I have my motorola DHC 3200 cable box hooked to my SX2210 monitor.  Via input select, I like to watch tv on the monitor.  My XPS 420 is also hooked to the monitor via DVI.  I have one set of computer speakers hooked to my Line In on my Diamond XS71 sound card.  I've tried hooking my cable box to my sound card via the coaxial digital connections on the sound card.  But no sound when cable box is turned on.

Any thoughts or a better solution to share my computer speakers with both my computer and my tv signal?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 23rd, 2009 16:00

What model PC?  Most S/PDIF digital connections on PC's are only output only, they are not inputs.  You will have to connect standard audio from the cable box to the PC's sound card "line in" connection.

9 Posts

September 23rd, 2009 16:00

My PC is an XPS 420, but I have a Diamond XS71 sound card that has both S/PDIF In and Out. 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 24th, 2009 04:00

Do you have the S/PDIF device set as the "recording"  device in the Control Panel/Sounds?

9 Posts

September 24th, 2009 09:00

I can't recall, will check tonight.  I believe these were "greyed out" or "not selectable" but will confirm tonight.  Should it be set as the recording device?

Thx

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 24th, 2009 10:00

Yes.  If you have Vista click on the Recording Tab and the RIGHT click in an open area and then LEFT click on Show all devices and then RIGHT click on the S/PDIF input and then LEFT click on Enable.

9 Posts

September 24th, 2009 20:00

Thanks, I was able to get it to work.  I had a parallel thread involving my monitor.  My cable box is connected to my monitor via HDMI.  My monitor has an audio out 3.5mm jack.  I went from this audio out to my sound card line it and all is good.

Thank you for your reply and help.

No Events found!