Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 24th, 2009 15:00

Speaker work, but no sound from integrated motherboard

I bought a Dell Dimension 4500 in 2003. As life would have it, eventually it got bogged down and I had to wipe everything out and reinstall the entire system. I have everything running except (and there's always an exception...) the sound. I have integrated audio connections protruding from the back of my motherboard. I can't (I mean I have searched to the ends of internetdom looking for) find the drives. Can and one link me up with them?

I'm not sure what all to tell you about my computer, so here goes my best shot: Running Windows XP Home version, Processor: 2.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 8 kilobyte primary memory cache 512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Not hyper-threaded Main Circuit Board: Intel Corporation D845EPT2 AAA83422-107 9 Bus Clock: 133 megahertz BIOS: Intel Corp. A03 07/18/2002 Controllers: Standard floppy disk controller Primary IDE Channel [Controller] Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller Displays: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 [Display adapter] NEC AccuSync 95F [Monitor] (18.0"vis, s/n 0Y50164YA, October 2000) Bus Adapters: Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller (3x) Mutlimedia: None (this is where I need someone's help!)

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 24th, 2009 15:00

When you do a reinstall the correct and required install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Intel Chipset Drivers (3) Install Device Drivers such as sound, video, ethernet, etc.  The chipset drivers are the most often skipped item and they MUST be installed BEFORE installing the sound drivers.  One of the main things the chipset drivers do is identify what devices are on or attached to the motherboard. 

If you did not install the chipset drivers, install them, reboot the PC and then install the Dell sound drivers.  In most cases this will take care of it.  In a few isolated cases a new complete and correct install will be required. 

Dell Integrated Audio Drivers Download

Intel Chipset Drivers 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

No Events found!