Highlighted
2 Bronze

Sporadic No Audio OptiPlex 7010 w/Intel HD Graphics 4000

Hello,

We have five OptiPlex 7010 i7 computers with the Intel HD Graphics 4000 video card. They are connected via HDMI to a Crestron video switch which strips out the HDMI audio to an amplifier. They have been installed and working in a classroom setting for years on Windows 7 until we "upgraded" to Windows 10. Since then, once every week or so a user will log in in the morning and no sound will output from the HDMI port. We are unable to figure out what causes the issue to occur, but the only two ways to get audio to come back are:

1. Restart the computer.

2. In Device Manager, disable the Intel Display Audio device under Sound, video and game controllers, then re-enable it right after.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there anything we should be trying? With it only happening once a week, it is very hard to figure out what causes the problem. I have fully debugged with the Crestron switcher and am confident that it is not the problem. I believe the problem is with the Intel HD Graphics 4000 combined with Windows 10.

Here is what we have tried/observed:

- under playback devices, Windows still shows green sound bars going out the Intel Display Audio device even though no sound is received by the Crestron switcher (and therefore the speakers).

- disabling/re-enabling the Intel Display Audio device in Windows playback devices does not fix the issue. Only doing that in Device Manager brings audio back.

- changing default format and other settings has no effect.

- updated graphics/digital audio drivers to latest version.

- updated BIOS to latest version.

- reinstalled latest drivers.

Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

RE: Sporadic No Audio OptiPlex 7010 w/Intel HD Graphics 4000

Apologies that this has not yet received a response from our users. Perhaps because you are using hardware (Crestron video switch) that neither Dell nor our users have tested. For the systems that have the issue, which Intel HD 4000 driver is installed? Our OEM version 10.18.10.4425, A18, dated 11/30/17? Or some other driver that Microsoft pushed?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi Chris,

Thanks for checking in. We always have the latest OEM version installed. We installed the A18 version dated 11/30/17, and then a user reported the no audio issue on December 6.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

And from 11/30 to 12/6, no Microsoft updates were automatically installed?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Correct. We manage our own updates through WSUS and none were applied in that timeframe.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

The last thing I can think of is to try testing the retail Intel site to see if their Driver Update utility will install some different drivers. Then retest.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

So when "a user will log in in the morning", does that mean they cold boot the PC or was it sleeping or hibernating?

Just guessing here...but if it was sleeping/hibernating, maybe you need to change some of the Advanced power plan options in Windows 10 and/or the Sleep State settings in BIOS setup...??

And another guess...is there a driver or firmware update for your Crestron video switch from the manufacturer for Win 10?

And to add to your misery, there was a bug in a very recent Intel HD Graphics driver pushed by Windows Update that caused weird video effects after waking from sleep (note: nobody mentioned sound problems at the same time, at least not on Dell's forum), so Chris may be right to go to the Intel site and let it scan the hardware for an updated HD graphics driver -hopefully one without their bugs... emoticon.Wink.title

EDIT: You called it an "HD Graphics 4000 video card". Intel HD Graphics are on the CPU, not on a card. So are you saying you don't have any add-in NVidia or AMD video card in these systems? That would open a different can of worms...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thanks, Chris. I will try that utility.

Thanks Ron for replying. The PC would either be a cold boot or boot from sleeping as it would depend what the last user the night before did. Our users were unable to tell us the state of the computer when they turned it on.

I've looked through the advanced power settings and the BIOS but have not found anything that would turn off the audio. Note that there have never been any issues with video, only the audio.

The Crestron device has the latest firmware on it, and while I have not ruled it out as a contributing factor to the problem, I am using it in many other classrooms with the i5 7010 (which has a different Intel integrated graphics) with no problems.

My bad on using the term "video card." I know it is integrated but just used the wrong term. No other video output cards are in the PC.

I'll try running the Intel utility tomorrow and see what it says.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Try updating the Intel drivers from their site first...

Can users look at the power button to see if it's blinking white before they start using the PC, which would indicate sleeping? Would be helpful to know if this audio problem occurs when waking from sleep vs cold booting.

A setting may not *specifically* turn off audio, but when the PC is powered down either by the Power plan or BIOS settings, that might affect the audio-out signal via HDMI.

In the active Power plan, Advanced options, you might try turning off Hybrid Sleep, disabling Hibernation, and disabling PCI Express Link State Management, and have a look at the Multimedia settings too. You could use one of the PCs as your test bed for changing settings until -hopefully- you find the right one(s).

And you could try disabling C state control in BIOS. Deep sleep control is disabled by default, so you might look at what options are available if you enable deep sleep control in BIOS.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

0 Kudos