Highlighted
Billy Thomas
2 Bronze

Startup problems Dimension 4700, WinXP

For a while, my Dimension 4700 has been taking a real long time to start up.  More than 3 minutes sometimes go by before I can even pull up the start menu, to say nothing of opening Firefox, or a Word document.  Sometimes I'll just get a "blue screen of death" followed by a message that says:

C:\DOCUMEN^\Bill\LOCALS^1\TempWER8580.dir00\Mini120610-01.dmp

C:\DOCUMEN^\Bill\LOCALS^\TempWER8580.dir\sysdata.xml

Other times, I won't get the blue screen but I'll always get these two messages in sequence:

"Windows cannot find C:\DOCUME^1\Bill\LOCALS^1\TEMP\dwm.exe.  Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again"  and

"Could not load or run C:\DOCUME^1\Bill\LOCALS^1\TEMP\dwm.exe specified in the registry.  Make sure the file exists on your computer or remove the reference to it in the registry."

Any ideas what all of this means?  I'm having loads of other problems such as USB ports that sometimes won't be recognized, USB devices that don't get recognized even though they're connected to ports that supposedly work, plus I can't access the System Restore function.  I thought I might be able to return to a previous, working state but each time I try to do so there is an immediate message that "System Restore has encountered an error and needs to shut down", or something to that effect.

Might I need to just bite the bullet and reinstall Windows from the ground up?  Groan.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Masi_GC
3 Argentium

Re: Startup problems Dimension 4700, WinXP

Bill,

DWM.EXE is a fundemental part of the Windows operating system and is normally found in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. Your system is having a very hard time finding it (and it sounds like many other files). You may have a corrupt registry. If so, its time for a reinstall.

But it could be a problem with the path variable.

Open a DOS window and type PATH<enter>. You should see somthing like this:

PATH=C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0

Let me know what you see.

Masi_GC

0 Kudos
Billy Thomas
2 Bronze

Masi--

This is what I got when I typed PATH at the DOS prompt:

PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\

Not exactly what you suggested it should say -- should I take this to mean that either QuickTime or my ATI Radeon graphics card is causing the problem?

Thanks for the response.

0 Kudos
Masi_GC
3 Argentium

There is nothing wrong with your path. This issue is that Windows is looking for this critical file in your Windows profile, instead of its proper location (which is C:\Windows\System32\). Fixing it may be difficult and not for the faint-of-heart. It would involve searching for the bad patch in the registry and correcting it.

You can either re-install Windows or post this in the Operating System forum. This is a hardware support forum. There may be wiser heads than mine who haunt that forum.

0 Kudos