Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 21st, 2009 23:00

Stock XPS 700: E6600 processor upgrade

First time to Dell forums after owning an XPS700 for multiple years... I wish I came here sooner. :emotion-7:

I've got a stock XPS700. I missed the chance to upgrade because, well, I wasn't aware of it. I'm starting to fall behind in the gaming department, and I'm looking to upgrade my CPU and GPU.

I've got a e6600 @ 2.4GHz, and I'm eyeing either a GTX 260  or a GTX 270. I'm afraid my e6600 will bottleneck a bit, so I'm looking for an upgrade to hold for the next 1 or 2 years.From what I've read, the Q6600 and E8400 are options... but not quite sure which would be more helpful.

Can anyone give me any recommendations? Thanks!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 22nd, 2009 06:00

PsylentStorm,

WM543 Conroe XE Kit, X6800, 2.93Ghz, 4MB, 1066FSB, B2

The GTX 280 would be a good upgrade.

14.4K Posts

June 12th, 2009 16:00

if you do not have the 1kw supply you will not be able to run a second 280 card. The 750w is the standard unless your system came with a sli setup.

And if you do have the 750w supply the only supply that will work is a Dell supply and your choices of purchase are either Ebay or Dell spare parts.

22 Posts

June 12th, 2009 16:00

Hi I have a question I have an XPS 700 with Q6700, 4Gig Ram and a 280GTX I am thinking to put another card in SLI will it work I have no idea about that any help would be greatly appriciated. I have the stock XPS 7000 Motherboard. Thankyou

14.4K Posts

June 15th, 2009 14:00

If you have the 1kw supply there are four connectors the other like you said is more than likely buried up in the top part of the case. I dont think you need a special bridge and any dual bridge should work.

You could try contact the maker of your card to see if they offer one.

22 Posts

Thank you for your reply. I have a 1000 Watts power supply its printed on the right side of the power supply, and my system did come with the SLI motherdoard. It came with a single 7900GS 256MB and later I installed another 7900GS in SLI Mode. The thing is that I opened my CPU yesterday after reading your email and I notices one thing, when I installed the first 280GTX I plugged in the two electric power supply cables one 6pin and the other 8pin as much as I remember. And now there is only one cable left for the other 280GTX. Thats where I am getting confused how in the world ill plug the second card if there is only one cable left. Or maybe I need ti dig more in the CPU case and look for the other cable cable.

22 Posts

other than that I am also confused about the SLI Bridge I can't find a Dual SLI Bridge for 280GTX. Every where I check there is the Tri-SLI Bridge. Have you come across any Dual SLI Bridge by chance?

22 Posts

June 20th, 2009 08:00

Thankyou dave for your help. I contacted BFG and you were right I can use the SLI Bridge that came with my mother board for Dual SLI. Now here is the issue remember I was teling you that I cannot find the other 6-pin cable so I can connect another 280GTX in SLI. Well here is the problem I have connected one 6-pin which connects directly to the card, then there is a 8-pin on the card for that BFG Provided a cable that takes two 6-pin cables and converts them to a single 8-pin then I connected it to the 280GTX. So basically there are three wires connected to one card thats why I could not find the onther 6-pin cable. Now I went and researched a little BFG makes a cable that takes a single 6-pin cable and converts to an 8-pin I am sending you the link do you think this will work fine. I am thinking to buy two of thes converter cables one for each card. Please let me know and againgI am very thankful for all you honest help.

http://www.bfgstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PCIXPRESPWREXT

Hammad

14.4K Posts

June 21st, 2009 19:00

that cable should do the trick. You should have a total of four 6 pin connectors on the 1k supply. In all actuality the difference between the 6 pin and 8 pin is the 8 pin has two extra grounds.

Also if I remember correctly the 6 and 8 pin cable have a differnce it amps so you should use the higher amp connectors to do the 6 to 8 conversion and connect the two lower amp 6 pin cables to the 6 pin connector.

22 Posts

June 23rd, 2009 08:00

Thank you for your reply. I am going to start the process now.

No Events found!