Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2008 10:00

Strange OptiPlex GX620 behavior

I currently have two GX620's sitting on my desk showing some strange behavior.  When you turn the system on the two fans kick into high and does nothing else.  The 4 diagnostic LED's on the back are blank.  I pulled the memory and turned the system on to see if I could get some type of beep code or diagnostic LED, no change.  I pulled the CPU and the fan speed returns to normal and I have a flashing amber power LED in the front.

These two have been acting up for the better part of two weeks and enough turning the system off and on a couple of times and they would kick into gear and boot.  Unfortunately both of these systems are out of warranty.  The only thing left to replace is the motherboard.

Has anyone else ran into this issue?  Looking at Dell's site it appears there are a couple of different versions of the GX620.  I have the Ultra Small Form Factor version.

2K Posts

November 19th, 2008 12:00

This is fairly typical behavior for MB capacitor failure.  The USFF chassis runs hotter than the fullsize one does, which ages marginal capacitors even faster.  You are most likely looking at motherboard replacement.  Consider the cost carefully, compared to the cost of system replacement.  The data is still intact, though the image will not boot on the next-generation chipset it will still be readable.

Just between us, Dells are now made to self-destruct within 3 years, and yours has.  I wouldn't invest in reviving it, as the corporate effort is to make you replace it.  Given that experience, I'd also say replace it with something other than Dell.

11 Posts

March 11th, 2009 11:00

It does sound like the motherboard is most likely to blame, but I would check the power supply if possible just to be sure.  That model does get bulging or exploded capacitors, but not as much as the Optiplex GX270 and SX270.  The bad caps are usually pretty evident if you have opened the case, but in this model you might have to take out the hard drive to see the motherboard.  If you want to know what to look for check out badcaps.net.

Replacing the motherboard is not that difficult and you can usually get a new one on e-bay for less then $50 and I have even occasionally been able to get one for as little as $20.  You can also replace the capacitors on the motherboard and this is a little more difficult, but I have done it on probably 5 motherboards so far.  It is more time consuming and it takes some getting used to and depending on the price of a new motherboard it might not even be worth it.

If you get a new motherboard on e-bay just make sure it is the correct model and form factor.  Dell has very good documentation on their website that shows you how to replace almost anything in the computer.

Hope this helps.

2 Posts

November 4th, 2009 14:00

Hate to dig up an old thread but since it is mine I figured it would be alright.  We have two large (50+) batches of GX620's that are now out of warranty.  The problem we are now having is locating parts.  I have 5 machines sitting on the shelf with the same symptoms detailed in my original post.  We put in an order for some refurbished motherboards but was told they are back ordered at would be at least 6 months.

I have been scouring Google trying to find a third party vendor who sells GX620 motherboards for the USFF but haven't found anyone with a decent quantity.  I'm hoping someone in the community might have some leads to someone who sells or can repair the motherboards I currently have.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 4th, 2009 15:00

Ascendtech has Dell GX620 motherboards for $99 (condition status not indicated).

Centrix has new (system pull) Dell GX620 motherboard for minitower for $29 (quantity 1), and

Centrix has new (system pull) GX620 motherboards for $29 here  (quantity 3).

Be sure to verify that the part number is appropriate for your system.

Ron

No Events found!