Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 9th, 2011 15:00

Studio 1749 HDMI Connection to TV -- No Video on TV

I have connected my Studio 1749 to my Sharp HDTV with an HDMI cable.  But when I put a movie DVD in the 1749, I get no video on my TV.  I have the Input on the TV set to that HDMI port so that is not the problem.  Any help?  Please?  Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 9th, 2011 17:00

Hi Bayoujoel,

When you plug the HDMI cable into your HDTV, does the desktop appear correctly?

8 Posts

June 9th, 2011 17:00

Yes, the desktop appears correctly.  I should be able to see the desktop on the tv screen but I do not.  Nor can I see a DVD when I put it in.  I tried the F1 key but that does nothing.  I think that is about using a projector and not a TV.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 10th, 2011 13:00

The desktop does not appear correctly ON the TV and it should. You should mention your operating system. Make sure both the laptop and the tv are off when you connect the hdmi cable. Then turn on the tv and select the right input and then turn on the computer. With HDMI the computer screen is usually immediately seen on the tv if you have windows 7. If it doesn't appear recheck your Display settings on the computer. The F1 key is used to switch to external monitor, but you might need to use the Function key with F1 to get it to work. However, that is for a vga connection and it's not usually necessary with an hdmi connection.

8 Posts

June 10th, 2011 14:00

You are correct.  The desktop does NOT appear on the TV.  Nothing does.  It is black.  I have tried what you suggested.  I have Windows 7 on my laprop.  

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 14th, 2011 17:00

The procedure is in your manual <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>. Try following that first.

8 Posts

June 15th, 2011 12:00

Thanks.   But I had tried all of that and it did not work.  I evern called Dell support.  But the guy knew less than I did and could not come up with any option that I had not tried other than updating the video driver, which did nothing.  All he could do was suggest I call another Dell support number that offers good support for a fee.  Thanks a lot for that.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 18th, 2011 18:00

I am not familiar with the graphics settings for that system but there should be a way to determine if an external display is connected when you plug in the HDMI cable. Then once it's connected, you need to enable the external display.

8 Posts

June 18th, 2011 20:00

You would think so.  I know that the computer recognizes the HDMI connection to the TV and the TV recognizes the HDMI connection.  But nothing is showing on the TV...just a black screen.  Very strange.

8 Posts

June 19th, 2011 05:00

Yes, thanks.  that was the first thing I did.  You set it up for "cloning".  I am pretty sure I have done everything one can do and that there is a problem with the Dell that the Dell "support" guy could not figure out.  He suggested I called the special Dell support numnber that provides support for a fee.  Wasn't that nice?  

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

So try something else, such as enabling the external display as primary or extended.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Ok, that's only the first part. Now you need to enable the external display. On my old Latitude, you can toggle displays with the Fn-F8 key combination. Did you try that?

8 Posts

June 19th, 2011 07:00

did that too

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 19th, 2011 11:00

Can you provide a screen shot? Here's mine:

1 Message

March 28th, 2012 17:00

I still have this problem. Anyone find a fix?

1 Message

April 19th, 2012 21:00

I have the same exact problem.  I have paid hardware support and my motherboard has been replaced three times.  Very unhappy.  I'm seeing other users post problem with USB and memory modules.  My memory modules have been replaced twice.  Dell always wants to argue.  I'm now having to reset my computer back to factory default settings twice now.  Good luck to you.  I'm never purchasing another Studio ever again. 

Matthew
Cotati, CA, US

No Events found!