Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 17th, 2013 16:00

Studio 540 won't boot

Turned my Studio 540 off while I was on vacation for a week. Tried to boot when i got back and nothing. Green light on back is on. Went out after I unplugged it but relit when I plugged it in. I hold in the button but nothing happens. Computer is several years old. Any thoughts/suggestions?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

August 17th, 2013 18:00

Dead motherboard battery?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 17th, 2013 19:00

Hi PatrickCarroll22,

First, I’d suggest that you follow the steps mentioned below again and check if the system switches ON.

1. Switch off the computer.
  2. Disconnect the power cable from the wall.
  3. Press and hold down the power button for 15 seconds.
  4. Then connect back all the peripherals and check if the touch screen is working.

Secondly, Dell Studio 540 comes with diagnostic indicators. If the computer is not starting up you can refer to the diagnostic indicators.

• I’d like to know The Studio 540 power button light (bicolor LED) located on the front of the computer illuminates and blinks or remains solid to indicate different color state.
  • I’d like to know if you are getting any beep codes. The Studio 540 system can emit a series of beeps during start-up if the display cannot show errors or problems. These series of beeps, called beep codes, identify various problems. Please let me know how many beeps you get.

August 18th, 2013 13:00

Tried the 4 steps.  Still nothing.  No lights/no beeps.  Probably should have mentioned this, but it is a tower not a laptop.  Not sure if the lights/beeps are for laptop or a desktop.  BTW, bought the unit in December 2008, if that helps.  Thx.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

August 18th, 2013 15:00

The power supply is one thought. Also, check for bent USB pins.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

August 18th, 2013 17:00

Since this started after the PC wasn't used for a week, I'd start by replacing the motherboard battery, which might have died while you were away.

CR2032 3-volit lithium ion battery, ~$2-$3 at discount stores. If that doesn't help, then you can look into more expensive repairs.

August 19th, 2013 09:00

Changed the battery.  Still nothing.  

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 19th, 2013 13:00

Tried the 4 steps.  Still nothing.  No lights/no beeps.  Probably should have mentioned this, but it is a tower not a laptop.  Not sure if the lights/beeps are for laptop or a desktop.  BTW, bought the unit in December 2008, if that helps.  Thx.

PatrickCarroll22

As the power button is not lite and there are no Beeps, I suggest trying a different power supply, as a 'Known' working power supply is needed to test the motherboard, etc.

If you have the Dell Studio 540 Mini Tower and not the 540s Slimline version, this PC can use most generic standard ATX power supply units, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: You require a power supply with four SATA power connectors.

Bev.

August 20th, 2013 13:00

Thanks.  Ordered a new power supply.  Will see if that fixes the problem.  Will repost with results in a few days.

No Events found!