Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 4th, 2011 18:00

Studio 7100 XPS dual monitors

I just ordered a new 7100 xps with the AMD Phenom II X4 945 and Radeon HD 5670 video card. I planned on connecting the VGA output to my monitor and the HDMI output to my TV so I can use either one as a monitor. However, after placing the order I read somewhere this will not work, that the computer will only recognize one output as valid...but maybe that is true only if it has an integrated video card? Now I'm confused and wondering if my plans are going to work, or if I should have ordered the Black Edition X6 processor instead, which states it will support multiple monitors. Help!

270 Posts

June 6th, 2011 14:00

ok .. yes is the answer depending on what ports the 5670 graphic card.  When a graphic card is plugged into a computer system the onboard video built into the motherboard is automatically shut off.  If the graphic card has a vga port on it you are good to go.  You can just plug in your vga monitor.  If it does not have a VGA port you will need to plug your you VGA monitor in to the DVI port using a DVI to VGA adapter.  The HDMI is unaffected and you just plug that in normally using the HDMI on the graphic card.  Regardless both things have to be plugged into the graphics card and not the onboard graphics.

worse case scenario you may need this:  www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 6th, 2011 06:00

Most video cards of the 54XX 55XX 56XX series have dual video output and would allow hooking 2 monitors.

So I'm not sure what you mean.  You cannot use analog and DVI on the same output.You would also have to decide how the monitors are arranged .

3 Posts

June 6th, 2011 11:00

Here's what I would like to do:

I want to connect my desktop monitor using a standard VGA cable, but I would also like to connect my 42" HDTV to the computer using the HDMI output. That way I can use a wireless keyboard and mouse and use the TV as my monitor. Will this work? I read somewhere that integrated graphics only allow the use of one monitor, but I'm hoping this will work the way I described since I'm assuming this is a separate video card which is not integrated into the processor.

270 Posts

June 6th, 2011 14:00

sorry about all the grammatical errors in there .. wow :)

3 Posts

June 7th, 2011 11:00

Thank you, that's all I needed to know :)

No Events found!