Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

December 17th, 2009 21:00

Studio 9000 - Only one USB drive at a time?!

I just got a new Studio 9000 machine. Nice machine, except it can only recognize one USB drive at a time. I plug in my external USB flash drive to the top or front port, then my external USB hard drive to a top or front port, and it kills access to the flash drive. I plug in the HDD first, then the flash drive second, and it makes the HDD unavailable. I'm actually lucky that I got the front USB ports working at ALL, since they didn't work out of the box . I had to remove and reseat everything to even just get them working, and now, this.

What gives? Are the USB ports in the Studio XPS 9000 underpowered, or is this thing in need of warranty service? I don't have any problem with my old XPS 410 or my Optiplex 760, so it seems ridiculous that it'd be underpowered.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 18th, 2009 03:00

It could be a power issue.  If the external USB hard drive self powered or does it get it's power from the USB Port?  If it gets it's power from the USB port you will probably have to use a Powered type USB hub.

December 18th, 2009 04:00

It gets its power from the USB, but here's the thing: one of he USB ports (the one on the SD card reader) NEVER can run the drive, and as I'd mentioned the XPS 410 and the Optiplex 760 that I use at work have no trouble running both flash drive and hard drive simultaneously.

The more I play with it, though, the more I'm convinced that you're right, and that these ports on the XPS 9000 just don't have enough power. I can, for example, put in two flash drives, but flash drive and hard drive is no-go. Very annoying. At least I have a work-around for the moment. :(

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 18th, 2009 05:00

There was a similar power problem on some older Dell's - but in those the rear ports didn't have as much power available as the front ports.  People were even having problems connecting any peripheral including printers.  Powered external USB hubs were the only answer. 

No Events found!