Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 18th, 2012 17:00

Studio XPS 435 MT... Bios and hard-drive failures.

Alright, beside the very loud fans, there has been some serious problems that I decided is the day to get fixed.

Intel core i7 920

Radeon HD 6870

Computer is about 3 years old.

Computer crashes randomly, and sometimes I actually mean randomly. I can't be entirely certain, but I think it was BIOS because it crashed on boot sometimes (at the DELL screen, and you can press F2 or F12 for some options). My current BIOS version is A6 2010 version, but the update on the dell website, after putting in service tag, gave me a file that crashes for the first 2 times, then on the third is show that my current BIOS version is unknown (http://i.imgur.com/ZG230.png), and when I attempt to update, it says "The BIOS bin file is not for this system!". I checked both 32 and 64 bit, but both are the same. (http://i.imgur.com/rrKcs.png)

Now on to the hard-drive, it also crashes during "Starting Windows 7" (The one where the cross-section and multi-colored apple appears and glow while loading), and during regular session (Log-in screen, and during normal computer-work.). The crashes could  lead to blue screens such as MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, and some others, but most of the time it either warps into a stretched texture or picture of my screen, or freezes. Sometimes it restarts by itself suddenly as well. The most recent warning about my hard-drive is when I ran Dell hardware diagnostics, and SMART short self test failed. I searched the problem, and it means that my hard-drive is about to fail/is failing/already failed, and I should back-up and get a new one.

I also think it's worth mentioning that the crashing stops for a week when we remove all the dust inside (The computer is not in a very dusty place, just a regular-home-room.). Probably very weird.

The noise from the fans are not my hard-drive as well, we disconnected the hard-drive and it still humming loudly at times. I will be more in-depth about this after I get the BIOS and hard-drive fixed.

Help will be appreciated.

No Responses!
No Events found!