Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2010 02:00

Studio XPS 435 MT is running hot

Studio XPS 435 MT is running hot
This machine has locked up on me several times under no substantial load,  sometimes
just running a picture slideshow screensaver
I am considering purchasing another case for cooling purposes as well as future upgrades
I am also considering a better cpu cooler as well
I need to know what the form factor is for the motherboard (0R849J A00) 
I cannot find any information regarding this
I am also considering a bigger power supply for future video card upgrades as well and need
to know if it work with this motherboard

Any help would greatly be appreciated !!!!!!!

288 Posts

June 24th, 2010 05:00

Sorry moving to another case is out of the question. When you buy a Dell your stuck with their wiring diagram and connections which are unique to Dell products. If you wish to updgrade then the MB, case and cooler are required just to start. If you want to upgrade the gpu then ps is also a good possibility. You should just buy another computer if your going to do all that. Have you investigated why your current Dell is running too hot? Have you good ventillation around the computer? Are the internal components free of dust and such that would inhibit proper cooling?  Have you re-applied the cpu thermal paste as sometimes over time it dries out losing it's thermal properties. Are you sure its too hot, have you run Dell diagnostic especially on the ram and HD? Ram problems can lock up a computer as well as hd and ps problems. Post back with some actual diagnostic info and someone can offer other suggestions as well.

2 Posts

June 25th, 2010 00:00

Thanks for the quick response! I have not run Dell diagnostics yet , this machine is 18 months old, I see a little dust that I can take care of , I am running CPUID Hardware Monitor and will copy and paste some of the stats, as far as upgrade goes what can I salvage from this machine to use in a new case, CPU is Intel Core i7 940, Gpu is ATI Radeon 4850 (512MB), 6gigs DDR SDRam, two 640 gig hard drives, Intel (R) 82567LF-2 Gigabit Network Adapter, Haupage Win Tv HVR -1250, 19 in 1 Media Card Reader, 16X DVD+/-RW,

And the Dell warranty is up. All of your input is greatly appreciated !!!!!!

Thank You DCX4EVER !!!!!!!!!!!

CPUID HWMonitorPro Report
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Binaries

HWMonitorPro version        1.0.9.0

Monitoring

Mainboard Model        0R849J (0x00000171 - 0x0052BB40)

Hardware Monitors

Hardware monitor    ITE IT87
    Voltage 0    1.12 Volts [0x46] (CPU VCORE)
    Voltage 1    1.06 Volts [0x42] (VIN1)
    Voltage 2    1.10 Volts [0x45] (+3.3V)
    Voltage 3    5.13 Volts [0xBF] (+5V)
    Voltage 4    13.38 Volts [0xD1] (+12V)
    Voltage 5    -12.35 Volts [0xC1] (-12V)
    Voltage 6    -11.97 Volts [0xBB] (-5V)
    Voltage 7    5.05 Volts [0xBC] (+5V VCCH)
    Voltage 8    3.28 Volts [0xCD] (VBAT)
    Temperature 0    79°C (174°F) [0x4F] (TMPIN0)
    Temperature 1    46°C (114°F) [0x2E] (TMPIN1)
    Fan 0        1337 RPM [0x1F9] (FANIN0)
    Fan 1        1269 RPM [0x214] (FANIN1)
    Fan PWM 0    0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM0)
    Fan PWM 1    0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM1)
    Fan PWM 2    50 pc [0x40] (FANPWM2)
Register space        LPC, base address = 0x0A10

Hardware monitor    Intel Core i7 940
    Power 0        26.79 W (Processor)
    Temperature 0    49°C (120°F) [0x33] (Core #0)
    Temperature 1    47°C (116°F) [0x35] (Core #1)
    Temperature 2    48°C (118°F) [0x34] (Core #2)
    Temperature 3    41°C (105°F) [0x3B] (Core #3)

Hardware monitor    Radeon HD 4850
    Temperature 0    72°C (161°F) (GPU Core)

1.7K Posts

June 25th, 2010 09:00

You can salvage everything you have except for the motherboard and CPU cooler.  Unfortunately, you will need a new operating system also since your Dell OEM will not install on the new MOBO.  The newer X58 chipsets and Intel 1366 socket boards which is what you have are also expensive.  HERE is a list priced low to high.  You can get good mid-size ATX cases that are relatively inexpensive though.  Coolermaster is very popular and HERE are 3 I would recommend.  They are very big for mid-towers with more than enough room inside.  They are also wide enough to accept bigger CPU coolers.  

Note that by just moving your hard drive over to the new motherboard your system may boot just fine given the same chipset.  However, as you install your Microsoft updates, it will probably be recognized as not a legitimate copy of windows since you moved it to a new motherboard and you will get the black background but still perform fine if you can live with that.  I have it running this way on another computer without any problems.  Also to note is that you would most likely have to invest in a new power supply as the cables on the Dell could very well be too short to reach where they need to go especially in cases with bottom mounted power supplies as I linked.  

Therefore, you may want to think this over a bit as you could be looking at around $400 if an OS is needed to make these changes.  The HD 4850 has always been known as a hot running card and if it is not the type that is exhausting heat out the back of your case, you may want to consider just replacing it with something that runs cooler and exhausts heat to see how that may effect your temperatures given that your case is pretty small.  

I did do this myself on a case almost exactly like yours, but my MOBO was an older socket and half the cost of the newer ones and my OS was free so my overall expense was pretty reasonable.  

No Events found!